mojos for goldeneyes

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

mojos for goldeneyes

Postby captmike69 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 pm

i have been desperately trying to get a pair of goldeneyes for my wall. last year i got a hen. lost a drake. this year i lost a drake already. so did my buddy. these things are the hardest thing i have ever hunted! around where i live there isnt to many of them. our birds are very cautious. they dont like to get to close to shore either. and they always come in in singles,(from what i have seen) i have ghg drake decoys and i handpainted some ghg buffys into goldeneye hens. i just took a brand new baby mojo and painted it into a drake ge. and i made a floating setup for it. its a pvc frame with drakes on the four corners a hen center front and the mojo center rear. im putting it to the test tommorow. havent seen very many this year but im gonna give it a go. does anyone have any input on a mojo for a ge? i would imagine it should work wonders. but like i said. our ges seem to be on a whole different level then in some other places! my hen is already done, sitting at todd huffmans collecting dust waiting for her man! im loosing my mind and the battle! i dont have as much time as i would like to hunt this time of year so im really hoping this mojo set up works wonders!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Re: mojos for goldeneyes

Postby dablaw » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Not sure how it will work...We have em by the thousands here in west Ky, and if you ever wanna go out on a classic diver hunt look me up...The biggest thing with goldeneyes is either be on the flightpath or have lots of goldeneye decoys to have bigger flocks come in..They seem to be a bit harder to kill than other divers...bigger bodies and thicker feathers ond down on the breast maybe contribute to lack of penetration to the vitals...Head shots are the same though..Unless they are belly up on the water they keep getting shot...I think people don't realize how fast they are realy flying...The flyers are easy to hear coming, but if they come in gliding, below the treeline, they get very hard to spot till it's too late...You'll know right away if the mojo helps or not..Let the birds tell you..If they flare more than normal or skirt your spread then get rid of it...When were targeting GE's we put out 3-4 dozen GHG oversized decoys and they seem to respond very well...Remember GE's like most divers are a "One and Done" type of duck..They come in buzzing, maybe make on return fly by, then either dump in or give ya the finger and catch the speed train outta town..Good luck..David.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby Rjackson3231 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:40 pm

i use two mojo's in with mallards and other puddlers on the left side of my spread....then run my divers in lines on the right side boat in the middle GE'S seem to like two shoot right straight in the middle and favor the top right of the spread 30 yard shots usually...im in western ky also and here have been seeing a bunch of GE and buffies....GE is a gorgeous bird one of my favs...
Attachments
ducks.jpg
"If it flies it dies...if it sits there it dies too"
Rjackson3231
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:15 pm

well. today was the worst xmas i have ever had. longggggggg story short disaster of disaster! including dropping my sbe 2 in 14 feet of water first thing! payed my buddys brother a hundered bucks to get his wet suit and dive in and get it. but i got it back. i let my buddy sit over the decoys in his layout for a bit. hardly anything moving. all the birds were stacked farther up river where no hunting is allowed. had a couple buffys try to land on the mojo though.
captmike69
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:22 pm

We have a hard time decoying Goldeneyes too.
Ive heard that they land good to long lines with goldeneye dekes
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 pm

i have hunted with my mojo now twice. decoyed 3 drakes together yesterday and a single and another 3 pack today. yup you guessed it, blew every shot on them! i can fold a freaking merg on a 60 mile an hour pass shot or decoying but a goldeneye? forget it! this is driving me insane!!! guess its why i keep going back.
captmike69
hunter

Postby Tennesseehick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 am

Here on the lake, GE's always seem to give us a look untill they get close to the Mojo's, then all you hear are the haunting sounds of those wings. With no Mojo's we've had some better luck.
Tennesseehick
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:19 pm

that was a bad day....

but stick with it! you'll get one eventually and have a beautiful mount and a good story to go with it
badgreenbird
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 am

Tennesseehick wrote:Here on the lake, GE's always seem to give us a look untill they get close to the Mojo's, then all you hear are the haunting sounds of those wings. With no Mojo's we've had some better luck.

Same experience. Eye's do not seem to like motion in the spread. We can decoy every bluebill from miles around by using a flag in the layout, but if you put that flag up when an Eye is coming in it seems to scare the hell out of them.

Believe it or not, I've had them make a 90 degree turn and dump right in when whistling at them, pretty sure they think it's another eye they hear dumping into the spread and sucks them right in.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Tennesseehick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am

g_maxson wrote:
Tennesseehick wrote:Here on the lake, GE's always seem to give us a look untill they get close to the Mojo's, then all you hear are the haunting sounds of those wings. With no Mojo's we've had some better luck.

Same experience. Eye's do not seem to like motion in the spread. We can decoy every bluebill from miles around by using a flag in the layout, but if you put that flag up when an Eye is coming in it seems to scare the hell out of them.

Believe it or not, I've had them make a 90 degree turn and dump right in when whistling at them, pretty sure they think it's another eye they hear dumping into the spread and sucks them right in.

Tried it, hadn't worked yet. lol
Tennesseehick
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Funny how ducks behave in different parts of the country. Around here we get a ton of goldeneyes in the late season and you can't keep them out of the decoys. The ones you guys get must be a bit more educated! Have you tried running goldeneye decoys only? That might help them commit.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

ya i only set ge deeks when im hunting them.
captmike69
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting