cannot get large groups of ducks to commit to spread.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

cannot get large groups of ducks to commit to spread.

Postby timbertime » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 pm

I am having large groups of bluebill and redhead work spread just out of shooting range. I am no problem with singles and small groups up to six dumping into spread. The large groups look and will land fifty to seventy fine yards out of spread and swim around. I have been hunting with fine dozen bluebill and three dozen reds. I have changed spread around every way I can imagine to no avail. I would appreciate any ideas. We are getting limits but would love to see the big groups commit.
timbertime
hunter

Re: cannot get large groups of ducks to commit to spread.

Postby ispfowler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 pm

It's fun to have a flock of birds do it right, but if you are getting limits on smaller groups, pairs, or singles.......why would you want to educate larger flocks of birds?
ispfowler
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 am

I try not to shoot in to large flocks. I think they get tougher to hunt when they get shot at like that.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby dablaw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 am

Drop your decoys down to 4-6 dekes and see what happens..You'll be glad you did..Also remember, bigger flock means more eyes watching...zero movement, no noise and fewer decoys...Good luck...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby timbertime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks for responses. I would not normally care to shoot into large groups because I have always had a few peel off even if main group leaves. The problem I am having is majority of birds are in large groups and it is taking five hours to get two man limits.
timbertime
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Seriously .... Be greatful for getting the birds you do! Last time I checked duck huntin wasnt a timed event!
Got5dux
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I hear your problem just the other moring my freind and I watched some guys not even 50 yards from were we set up (I am running about 5 doz deeks they had like 10doz all puddlers) they had groups of 15 to 20 birds (mostly divers) time after time dump in they had 4 guys on the hunt limits filled in only an hour or so after sun up! it was all about the mojo's if you ask me they never called they only shot that was the only thing I could see they had probably 10 mojo's on timers some floating others on the poles. I agree that you shouldnt shoot into large groups but at the same time you gotta kill what ya have if you only have large flocks then cut em' if you can help from it then chill out and wait it out :thumbsup: . Add some mojo's or some kind of spinning wing decoy to your spread and see what happens I have added 3 to my spread and even the singles and doubles seem to draw in faster! We are getting 3 man limits in about 2 hours on one of the harddest hit lakes in east texas since we added some! GOOD LUCK!!! :beer:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby LanceM » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Here's what I've learned about decoys. If they're going to sit still, use a few. If they'll blow around and look natural and have ripples, use as many as you want. Nothing looks more unnatural than several dozen "ducks" floating on a sheet of flat water. Throw in a jerk cord or two, they work wonders.

The only other thing I might add would be to open up your landing hole a little bit. Just keep experimenting and see what happens. You cant beat those big flocks landing all over you, even if you've already shot limits and unloaded your guns.

I also have a rant about movement, no gloves, no face mask, etc. but I'll assume you're sitting still and being a good hunter. Good luck
LanceM
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting