Bluebill decoying question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bluebill decoying question

Postby woodduck14 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey guys, this larger lake that I hunt has been holding a decent amount of bluebills. I've never hunted them or even shot one before. I only own puddle duck decoys, what would your suggestion be to try to get these bluebills into shooting range?
Last week I set up about 15 mallards kind of in a row and I had a hen bluebill come right in, but shot and missed.(they fly a little faster than a mallard) any suggestions without having to buy new decoys?
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Re: Bluebill decoying question

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:15 pm

If you have some old beat up decoys you could repaint them. If not, try putting your spread closer and leave a pocket in the decoys so they can light in it into the wind. They love to buzz my spreads even if I don't have divers out. If they don't light in range alot of times they will swim in. Just be still and quiet.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:31 am

The reason diver decoys are typically in a line is because they are clipped on long lines to give the ability to hunt deeper water.they aren't naturally regimented like that. Blubills will decoy to other species of decoy, but i would buy or aquire some diver decoys if you want them to decoy consistantly. I would apply the concept of having out decoys for what ever type of duck you want to come in. that would make you hunt more consistant and effective. As for numbers of decoys it depends on the pressure and where you hunt. We filled plenty of limits this year with 4 dozon decoys, but some groups use alot more and some will use less.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 am

Keep your eyes on your local Craigslist....people are always dumping old decoys that you can scoop up and paint over the summer.
A dozen will make a big diff
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby k.lewis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I hunt redheads and bluebills over some old repainted flambeau mallard dekes. They have worked quite well, I also only set about 4 or 5 dozen decoys. Some being mallàrd decoys just to help add the flock
k.lewis
Newb

Postby duckman27 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 pm

I've killed plenty of bluebills all over mallard decoys. Dont set them up in a line though. The only reason you see them in lines in other decoy spreads is because they are running longlines.

I would pack the decoys in a really tight group. That what I do when I know that the vast majority of birds around are divers and it works extremely well :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Do you have any Pintail decoys? Divers really like anything with white on them and pintails should draw them into range.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am

U could always buy some too. But just make a big group about 25 yards away from you. keep them separate from ur puddlers tho.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm

duckman27 wrote:I've killed plenty of bluebills all over mallard decoys. Dont set them up in a line though. The only reason you see them in lines in other decoy spreads is because they are running longlines.

I would pack the decoys in a really tight group. That what I do when I know that the vast majority of birds around are divers and it works extremely well :thumbsup:

Even though its not natural, lines help alot. I found that when you throw out a normal spread, a diver line going out on each side will help funnel them into the middle. They see that line then follow into the open pocket then BAM! They are in the hole and game on.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks for all the info, I forgot I posted this back in December. I'm going to keep my eye open for some old decoys and just paint them. I can't see spending a lot of money becuase this was the first season we've had a decent amount of bluebills around.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting