Spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Spreads

Postby Red Beard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

A buddy and I have been using about 2 dozen decoys and are having moderate sucess, but not as great as we would like. Any ideas on what to do? Should we use more or less?
Red Beard
hunter

Spreads

Postby trigger22 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Are you seeing birds but they aren't decoying? If so are they big groups or smaller groups? If really big groups it takes a bunch of decoys to gain their interest but smaller groups of 5-10 should come right to you. It also helps to set up where they want to be. These ducks were shot over 8 decoys this past weekend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357180675.433099.jpg
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Re: Spreads

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I have had to use up to 4 doz for Bluebills in the past. This year I have been using 8 to 12 decoys. Bluebills unlike other divers like decoys, seems most other divers only need something floating.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby jeepman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

trigger22 wrote:Are you seeing birds but they aren't decoying? If so are they big groups or smaller groups? If really big groups it takes a bunch of decoys to gain their interest but smaller groups of 5-10 should come right to you. It also helps to set up where they want to be. These ducks were shot over 8 decoys this past weekend

I agree. I would try another dozon or two decoys for starters. Also pay extra close attention to exactly where they are landing if not in your spread, and move there. This season we did well once we found out where they wanted to be. sometimes the most appealing places to hunters is not the case for the ducks. I've noticed for divers that even being 100 yards from the x won't necessarily pull them to you. We sat all day to fill a limit moved to the sweet spot the next morning a limited out in 20 mins.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Red Beard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks guys we have found out that if your not where they want to be than your probably not going to kill anything!
Red Beard
hunter

Spreads

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Red Beard wrote:Thanks guys we have found out that if your not where they want to be than your probably not going to kill anything!

Try a few more decoys and/or a different 'pattern'.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Red Beard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah that's what we have been doing. At would you say is the best pattern to use? And do you think our mojos are helping us or hurting us?
Red Beard
hunter

Postby Driven51387 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Ive had mixed results with mojos. There have been a few times when I'm pretty confident they helped. Other times I sit there and wonder if I should take them out of the spread. If you havent tried leaving them at home I'd do it and see what happens. As a general rule I leave them at home later in the season. If you get a push of new birds I'd bring one along and try it. Welcome the head scratching and wondering brother! Its what should keep you coming back! I agree with what others have said as well. try to match what you see happening out there and get on "THE X" if you can. Get up with a few buddies and chip in together for more decoys if its too expensive to get what you need on your own. Or repaint beat up puddler decoys....(Best use for a puddle duck decoy IMO :thumbsup: )
Driven51387
hunter

Spreads

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Not sure on the mojo's they aren't legal here. I keep it simple. Running lines right in front of the boat. Now that every one is hunting them due to the 7 bird limit. I have gone back to the basic stuff, straight lines, no decoys on droppers.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Driven51387 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Also there is a member on here named shade I believe. He has an illustration of a spread he uses. If you search this forum for spreads it should come up. Just so happens its nearly Identical to mine. It works for him, works for me and it might work for you. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Driven51387
hunter

Spreads

Postby Tealer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am

I showed that spread to Shade, it works great the way we hunt some of the spots. Out of a boat is totally different, as is a straight bank.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Spreads

Postby Tealer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 am

A "Shade" spread
Resulting in this
The problem is if they land at the end of a line it's 40yds plus. And because we have 5 lines the spacing is to tight to land them. Works for passing shots fine, but I like to pull the trigger when the first bird is wet.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby jeepman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 am

Tealer wrote:The problem is if they land at the end of a line it's 40yds plus. And because we have 5 lines the spacing is to tight to land them. Works for passing shots fine, but I like to pull the trigger when the first bird is wet.

We run the same type of spread, and have had the same problem. What we did was put the decoys a little closer together, or not put a full dozon on each line to bring the last decoy about 10 to 12 yards closer. That helped alot particularly in finishing cripples that try to swim out into deeper water.
jeepman
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

What I like to do and have had really good success with is this. We usually set a "blob" of decoys right in front of where we set the blind boat. Usually putting about 4-5 dozen decoys in our blob, sometimes more. We run a line upwind from us. The line I throw is about 25-30 yards long. 95% of the time they will fly over, turn around get into the wind, and follow the line right down and try and land on the back side of our "blob". Sometimes they don't even pay attention to our line and land with the wind. We have a really good success with this. Try different stuff out and you will find what suits where you hunt and your part of the country better! Good luck!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting