diver decoy spread advice

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Postby barnhill910 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:36 am

just looking for some of y'all opinions. I have 12 dozen diver decoys. 5 of which are set up on a net rig the others are on long lines. I have 10 dozen blue bills a dozen canvas backs and a dozen buffleheads also i have a mojo bb floater. just wondering if yall could give me any advice or scenario that I could use for both layout hunting or hunting out of a blind. the way I have been setting it up is the net rig at the top with long lines trailing off the downwind side.
barnhill910
hunter

Re: diver decoy spread advice

Postby ohioboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am

with that many i am guessing you already hunt divers?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby barnhill910 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Yes I already hunt divers. I was just looking for some advice on how everyone else sets up there diver rig.
barnhill910
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 pm

since i hunt over 3-9 usually, i think my advice would be bad for you. i put out 15 last week, the most i have done this year and ended up with 2 mallards-go figure.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Ask one of your Team Wack'em Stack'em prostaffers? Surely the know how to set a diver spread. With that many decoys you should be creating a black hole of death.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby barnhill910 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Tealer wrote:Ask one of your Team Wack'em Stack'em prostaffers? Surely the know how to set a diver spread. With that many decoys you should be creating a black hole of death.

I not looking to learn how to set them up, I know how to set a diver spread. I was just wondering if yall had any tips such as how yall would set that spread up. I would like to try a few different setups to see if it will work better. Just looking for ideas.
barnhill910
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 pm

barnhill910 wrote:
Tealer wrote:Ask one of your Team Wack'em Stack'em prostaffers? Surely the know how to set a diver spread. With that many decoys you should be creating a black hole of death.

I not looking to learn how to set them up, I know how to set a diver spread. I was just wondering if yall had any tips such as how yall would set that spread up. I would like to try a few different setups to see if it will work better. Just looking for ideas.

Having never had to use half that many decoys I have no idea how you would set that up. I'm not sure why you need that many, I use 24 max, works good in my area. Once you start hunting it and see how the birds react that would determine how I set it up again in the future.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 pm

I've never layout hunted before, but I'd probably start by doing it the way you always do it. Like I said before, I've never done it so I'm not that much help. Good luck!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby jeepman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 am

barnhill910 wrote:I not looking to learn how to set them up, I know how to set a diver spread. I was just wondering if yall had any tips such as how yall would set that spread up. I would like to try a few different

I use about half 6 to 8 dozon up here on Lake Champlain, but if i were going to use your stuff to set up, i would deploy that net rig in front of the boat for a blob rather than outside of the longlines. Then i would fan the long lines out about 10 to 12 yards apiece. That way there would be some decent shooting lanes between the long lines and there wouldn't be a possibility of them landing just outside of the spread for those long shots.

As for layout hunting i haven't done much of it but i would try to same approach to the spread but set the layout infront of the net rig/blob. that way they wouldn't want to land behind you as much and would either follow the longlines into the layout or land in the small shooting lanes about 10 to 15 yards infront of you. Plus with the 10 to 12 yard gaps between the long lines it would give room for the tender boat to get out to you and not tangle in the drop lines or mainline. you didn't specify what the length of your drops were so i'm just assuming you can't drive through the decoys.
jeepman
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 pm

This is how I would and have set my net and long lines in the past with the layout. Forgive my poor artistic ability
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357696986.490671.jpg
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Don't mean to jack your thread. But I see you have a bluebill mojo. How do they respond to that? I have never used one. Sorry, I'm not trying to jack your thread!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 am

If you are hunting a river I'd suggest at least 1 or 2 longlines running out into the river perpendicular to the bird's normal flight path regardless of the wind. Then put other lines runnign at different angles to the net rig. This way passing birds will pick up the tail of the line and follow it to the main spread which should be downwind of the layout like trigger22 pictured.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby barnhill910 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks guys thats the kind of answers im looking for im going to prob try to get on some divers in the am and im going to try one of these just to see how it works.
barnhill910
hunter

Postby barnhill910 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:07 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:Don't mean to jack your thread. But I see you have a bluebill mojo. How do they respond to that? I have never used one. Sorry, I'm not trying to jack your thread!

thats no problem at all. we have mixed results from it sunny days i think it flares then cloudy rainy day it can be a magnet.
barnhill910
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm

barnhill910 wrote:
ILgoosehunter12 wrote:Don't mean to jack your thread. But I see you have a bluebill mojo. How do they respond to that? I have never used one. Sorry, I'm not trying to jack your thread!

thats no problem at all. we have mixed results from it sunny days i think it flares then cloudy rainy day it can be a magnet.

Thanks! Good luck. Hope you keep piling up the divers!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 pm

trigger22 wrote:This is how I would and have set my net and long lines in the past with the layout. Forgive my poor artistic ability
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357696986.490671.jpg

That's how we run our layouts on Lake Ontario. The only difference is that we make a wider V with the longlines coming into the layout. With the point of the V at the layout/net spread. Most of the time when we kill sea ducks, we run two or three layouts, with one stringer off each layout, that way there, the birds hit the string and cut into the wind to land...gets em every time!
tbreen
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting