what the heck did I shoot pics added

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: what the heck did I shoot pics added

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:36 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:
captmike69 wrote:cant shoot harliquins around here. had 3 drakes bomb into my spread yesterday. or maybe they were buffleheads? huh maybe i should have shot them first.

To where someone can shoot both redheads and canvasbacks and he hadn't gotten the legal limit, I'd say he's ok. Harlis and buffies are a different story. They can be ID'd. If you can shoot only one or the other amd you cannot ID it, then it's best to pass. I don't worry about identifying ducks until I'm close or have reached the legal species limit.

How can you not tell the diffrence between a can and a red? The beak and head give it away as well as the white coloring. All ducks are very easily identifiable in flight. Except for telling a ringneck and bluebill or a gwt and bwt in flight but they both fall under the same bag limit.

I can tell the difference. I was implying that a new hunter may not. Canvasbacks aren't white until later in the season. They start out gray almost like a redhead does. In a lot of situations, a hunter probably won't be looking at the beak to identify the species while it is in flight. I've been hunting them and seeing them just long enough that I identify them by the way they fly. And like I said before, if every single species of duck is legal to shoot in a state, you have 0 ducks, one doesn't need to worry about what duck he is shooting. Just as long as it is a duck.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Skin: good job on your first drake Can. I have been chasing one in NC and I am oh-for-life.

P
Paul26
hunter

Postby Kayakfowler » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 am

I'm new to duck hunting also. I found an app that is very useful for helping you learn your ducks. It's called "I Duck ID" it has wonderful pictures of ducks both drake and hen. It also has a spot to click on each picture to hear their calls. One way I learned my ducks and still learning is by going out in my kayak and looking for ducks and then seeing if I could positively identify them. My 5 and 8 year old love to do this with me. It was a wonderful sight last week when my daughter identified her favorite duck...Hooded Merganser. We took many pictures and they are now in her scrap book.
Kayakfowler
hunter

Postby timmer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

thats a hell of a bird. congrats man ive been wanting to shoot one since i started hunting when i was ten, im only 19 now but i hunt every day exceot for the two days a week i have class on but congrats!
timmer
hunter

Postby champer196 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 am

Congrats on the bird. Fine eating right there.
champer196
hunter

Postby Iworkemintight16 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

I agree with everyone on here. I know that I am pretty new to this sight but one thing for certain is I kill ducks. People that are going out there just because they have seen the show "Duck Dynasty" make me sick. Take nothing away from the Robertson boys they know how to kill some ducks but this doesn't mean that everyone should become a duck hunter? Learn the ducks ID and I promise you I can ID them before they get into the decoys, especially if its a big bull Can
Iworkemintight16
Newb

Postby mayhem96 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am

I'm not trying to get you in trouble, but you should know what you are shooting at. You shot a drake Canvasback. Please do us all the favor of learning how to ID birds :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting