How dumb are divers

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

How dumb are divers

Postby jacobv75 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:03 am

Will divers come into a spread of 3 dozen mallard decoys and 1 dozen blue bill decs? and will they come in if you are hunting out of a 14ft flat bottom boat in the middle of a lake? and is it better to put a boat blind up with marsh grass or no blind and be low profile? Thanks for the help
jacobv75
hunter

Re: How dumb are divers

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:22 pm

You can kill the over 5 goose decoys out of a boat, standing, and dancing like a retarded clown...seriously though....thats good enough and you can use a boat blind if you want or just sit there in the boat. Find a white trash bag and when you see some birds wave it around in the air until you get their attention.

I hunted all weekend for redheads and blue bills, they would come in and we drop a few birds call once flap a trash bag around a few time then here they come, right back for round two...we decoyed the same flock into the decoys 4 time and droped 2 birds each time for a limt one day.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

They get smart they just don't receive as much pressure as other ducks. But believe after beating them up for a couple weeks they won't fly closer than 100 yards to shore.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby greyling » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 am

I've had divers land 4 feet away from me while fixing the decoys. I just stand motionless and see what happens and have had several still land in the decoys even with me standing in the middle of them.
greyling
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Very dumb. I've had redheads land 5 feet away, look me in the eye and then slowly swim away. I've had stairdowns with them and I usually win but they never leave. You will have no problem getting them to come into the setup that you are describing
duckman27
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 pm

They are so smart they are dumb. Divers are like women........
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I've been 50 yards from the decoys after chasing a cripple for some 400 yards and with the boat running, me standing on the rear seat operating the tiller and my buddy standing on the bow seat with the boat hook to grab the anchor line float and a flock of 20 bluebills was diving into the deeks. They are definitely not the Nobel Prize winners of the waterfowl world.

Later that same weekend we were set up 350 yards out from the center a large bay with my boat blind rig and there were 2 other parties on land or stake blinds each 800 yards away. A single bluebill buzzed us twice and 2 guys stood and emptied their guns (twice) without drawing a feather and the bird redirected to one of the other spreads. He buzzed them twice receiving 6+ loads thrown his way before heading to the third spread with the same results. By then the bird was sky high but still looking for friends so he came back towards us and fell out like a snow goose dropping into a bean field. He came from behind the boat and with me in the rear seat to run the motor I folded him like a dish rag and he fell 3' from the motor. That bird had over 18 shots taken at him in less than 5 minutes and he came back to his original point and met his match with my load of #6 Hevi. Again, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

However, to WIDrake's point they typically do not receive the same amount of pressure as puddle ducks and are not as educated to spreads and blinds by the time they reach NC waters.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm

They are easy to decoy. I stood right out in the open and called in a pair of scaup. They almost landed within 15 feet of me if you know what I mean. :wink:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:They are easy to decoy. I stood right out in the open and called in a pair of scaup. They almost landed within 15 feet of me if you know what I mean. :wink:

That doesn't happen everyone only those with SMILIE POWER!!! Nah for real divers are super easy to decoy, I've killed plenty standing in my decoys.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 am

Smart and dumb are not the words to use. Mallards and black ducks don't sit around discussing philosophy they are more products of their environment. I preferred naïve or trusting for the divers A lot of the divers come down from the Arctic and the Northwest Territories and live in open water environments where they may not even see a human until they see you sitting in your decoy spread with a bunch of there "friends"With that being said after they've been around for a while and subject hunting pressure they are every bit as smart as mallards maybe even more so. At least where I hunt a lot of the puddle ducks are local birds and a lot of them know me by name But once the migratory mallards come down and make a lot of the same dumb mistakes as the early divers until a few of there buddies make it into my freezer.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby 870 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I know this late coming in but,,,, Loon is right, don’t let these other guys fool you. You may very well be the first human they have ever seen. As mentioned, after they get banged at they’ll smarten up right quick. It sounds like you have to stay low profile until you get a blind on your boat. Best bet is to find their feed and set up there. If not look for their flight path leading to it and set there and don’t expect them to land they will give you a courtesy flyby though. If your boat doesn’t have much of a blind and it’s not a real layout I’d set up just down wind and off to the side of your spread so they won’t be looking at your boat, you want them to keep their eye on your spread not you. Place your divers on the down wind side of your puddle ducks so they are the first decoys they see. To make your spread look bigger, spread them out. With what you have I’d go with a teardrop pattern. Expect to have them swing your spread to the outside, though with a teardrop they could break to the inside towards you. Remember divers don’t like to fly over decoys/ducks so give them flight paths through your spread. They want to see open water facing them when they come in to land and take off, also with the wind in their faces or when they give you a flyby. Good luck
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Some friends and I decided to try hunting mallards last month in the central flyway near the Mississippi River. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Those stupid things would just lock up and flutter down right in front of the decoys. Like they were standing still! We all bought some of those calls that go "quack quack". It got so silly that we would stand up and holler to make them fly at the last minute just to make it fair. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting