Duck Hunting Forum banner

Layout Project

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tmclaimerFL 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions and opinions on build instructions for a layout boat? Looking to build one over the summer for open water. I'm not sure who has the best bang for the Buck, but I suppose the type of boat design is at question too. Anything y'all got as far as hybrid or full layout is helpful. Post pics of your own builds if you got em. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
DUCK-DAWG said:
If you go the hybrid route and plan to use it like a true layout boat, I would build the DE version...or at least some variation of it.
Explain what you mean by DE version?

#4 ·
Don't do it Claimer. Layout hunting is boring :biggrin:

We had one, sold it today actually to pay for materials to make three more of my own design (kind of). She was homemade from plans that have long been lost, plywood and fiberglass and weighed a ton. I was going to post pics but just realized I have no idea how to do it from my phone. If I figure it out, I'll post them up

I have always wanted to make one out of one of those big fiberglass satelite dishes from the 90s. I think it would work great for big water sea ducking, but would be a nightmare to transport.

#5 ·
flight control said:
Don't do it Claimer. Layout hunting is boring :biggrin:

We had one, sold it today actually to pay for materials to make three more of my own design (kind of). She was homemade from plans that have long been lost, plywood and fiberglass and weighed a ton. I was going to post pics but just realized I have no idea how to do it from my phone. If I figure it out, I'll post them up

I have always wanted to make one out of one of those big fiberglass satelite dishes from the 90s. I think it would work great for big water sea ducking, but would be a nightmare to transport.
Bet those dishes would be an awesome tobogan :lol:. Well other than your own plans FC have you seen any others that look ideal? Definitely need something large enough to hold my azz.

#6 ·
I have only hunted from the one we just sold, so my experience is limited. If you go to the HH, I posted pics of one of our hunts in November I believe. I think the title of the thread was layout hunt. My brother and I are 6' 2" and had a hard time fitting in there. Also, if you get any waves where you hunt, you might want to go a little higher or at least have a skirt to stop the water running down your neck. Might not be a big problem in Florida, but diver season up here is usually well below freezing.

If you have any experience working with fiberglass, I would suggest building a mold and then casting your layout to reduce weight.

I like your tobogan idea :clapping: The kids would love that

#7 ·
flight control said:
I have only hunted from the one we just sold, so my experience is limited. If you go to the HH, I posted pics of one of our hunts in November I believe. I think the title of the thread was layout hunt. My brother and I are 6' 2" and had a hard time fitting in there. Also, if you get any waves where you hunt, you might want to go a little higher or at least have a skirt to stop the water running down your neck. Might not be a big problem in Florida, but diver season up here is usually well below freezing.

If you have any experience working with fiberglass, I would suggest building a mold and then casting your layout to reduce weight.

I like your tobogan idea :clapping: The kids would love that
You would be surprised. Some of the lakes and bays down here can turn into an ocean in a heartbeat. I would definitely want to add a skirt to it.

#8 ·
Oh yeah, I'll take a storm on the salt over freshwater any day of the week! Lakes get scary rough in a heartbeat, I meant temperature wise, a wave over the deck is no fun.

#9 ·
flight control said:
Oh yeah, I'll take a storm on the salt over freshwater any day of the week! Lakes get scary rough in a heartbeat, I meant temperature wise, a wave over the deck is no fun.
Ya I would agree with that. My buddies do layouts on Erie. I'd be scared as hell out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.