buying a new tender/big water boat need help

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Re: buying a new tender/big water boat need help

Postby GREGS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm

That Chincoteaque looks like a nice open roomy boat.
But I would need more freeboard than that for a big water tender.
What nobody gunna mention the Duckwater?
GREGS
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:16 pm

dirtejp wrote:How about a 20 ft Chincoteague Scow by Glass Boat Works...

http://www.intercom.net/~boatwrks/chincoteague.htm

Works well up on the bays and shoals and back in the creeks on the Eastern Shore VA.

that's made by the same company that makes the "chesapeake clasics" and they are junk
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:

Works well up on the bays and shoals and back in the creeks on the Eastern Shore VA.

that's made by the same company that makes the "chesapeake clasics" and they are junk

What boat do you recommend?
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Undrcoverrednek wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

What boat do you recommend?
i don't recommend anything. i know what works for me but i have more than one boat. sure you can do most of it all out of one boat, but you will have to compromise shallow water or how it rides in rough weather.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby joemc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm

bankes boats all the way. :thumbsup:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby Thornehead » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Take a look at the Polar Kraft 2010V CC in Mossy Oak Shadowgrass. It is a big water boat and looks like it will fit your needs as you described. We run that model off the coast of Maine and it has worked out well for us. The price for a new one is also much less than you'll pay for some other makes as well. Good luck!
Capt. Mike
Thornehead
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:49 pm

19' maycraft
Willie
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:09 am

Might want to check out the Lund Alaskan 20 as well.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 am

Warden service up here in Washington County hates the Polar Kraft boats. Worse beating they have ever taken and regret the day they went away from the Lund Alaskans. The conditions you have to run in and then needing shallow draft make it a hard find for a perfect boat. Best big water boats are often your big deep V's. I have a 22ft Starcraft Mariner that you could set a Lund Alaskan or Polar Kraft inside of but she also draws some water.
Fowler
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Fowler wrote:Warden service up here in Washington County hates the Polar Kraft boats. Worse beating they have ever taken and regret the day they went away from the Lund Alaskans. The conditions you have to run in and then needing shallow draft make it a hard find for a perfect boat. Best big water boats are often your big deep V's. I have a 22ft Starcraft Mariner that you could set a Lund Alaskan or Polar Kraft inside of but she also draws some water.

I could have had one for free what a HUGE boat!! super deep...but it needed a ton of rivet work and I suspect a lot of corrosion was under some super thick chipping paint.....that boat was a V5 hull to boot!!

is your starcraft a V5? I am cutting up a starcraft islander 21 footer into a open water seaduck boat.....it is deep too, but about 10" NARROWER than a 22' mariner.....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Well from what I can find it is what they call a V5 hull. Guess they made some of them with five chines and super high sided for big water use. I ripped the whole floor up and took every bit of floatation out of it and replaced all of that. Moved the center console to the side to free up floor space as well. Makes a super big water boat. Absolutely love it.
Fowler
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 am

Fowler wrote:Well from what I can find it is what they call a V5 hull. Guess they made some of them with five chines and super high sided for big water use. I ripped the whole floor up and took every bit of floatation out of it and replaced all of that. Moved the center console to the side to free up floor space as well. Makes a super big water boat. Absolutely love it.

nice, what motor are you running??and did you change the gas tank?

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Thornehead » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Fowler wrote:Warden service up here in Washington County hates the Polar Kraft boats. Worse beating they have ever taken and regret the day they went away from the Lund Alaskans. The conditions you have to run in and then needing shallow draft make it a hard find for a perfect boat. Best big water boats are often your big deep V's. I have a 22ft Starcraft Mariner that you could set a Lund Alaskan or Polar Kraft inside of but she also draws some water.

Too bad ME Inland wardens had some bad luck with the Polarkrafts. They got the first batch of new V2010 's produced a few years back and they had hull problems. They have a lifetime warranty on the hull but never took advantage of the repair or replacement. The hull problems were addressed later that year by the manufacturer but The Warden Service still continues to bad mouth them. ME Marine Patrol are running some Polar Krafts and love em'.
We ran Lunds for many years and they are good boats. We upgraded to Polarkraft a few years ago and have never looked back.
Capt. Mike
Thornehead
hunter

Postby Fowler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 pm

I run a 150 hp Honda on the boat. I kept the tank the same since I had no issues with it.

As far as the Polar Krafts to each their own. To me they have to much crap in them with consoles and lockers. I want an open boat for decoys and gear. All my anchors and lines go under the floor. We still run two 20 ft Lunds as well and they are absolutely great boats although anything smaller that my Mariner seems dinky to me now. :yes:
Fowler
hunter

Postby Thornehead » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Ahh...the age old discussion goes on about which company builds the best boat...or truck...or shotgun and so on....:-) A fun topic to debate...
We cannot convince Polar kraft to build us a 23 footer yet. I would buy one if they made it. I'd like to see your Mariner up close Ernie...sounds like a nice big water rig. Perhaps I'll have a chance to check it out when i go Downeast next fall.
Capt. Mike
Thornehead
hunter

Postby Fowler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

This is Jon actually but anytime sounds good. Dan at Hamilton Marine where I got the Honda was super impressed with the size of the boat and its high sides. Like I said, it dwarfs the Polars and Lunds.
Fowler
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm

I would ask you to check out Duckwater Boats Ocean Series boats. Captain Brooks of Ocean State Outfitters runs one and it is awesome in open water! Very stable gunning platform, lots of room, and you customize your vessel to your needs. I have hunted out of his rig and it was very nice. Not to mention it is all heavy duty aluminum. Check it out and best of luck with your choice. :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Postby MDF » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

I would go with the Duckwater Ocean series. They are UNREAL, the cadillac of the duck hutning world IMO. There website can't show just how nice they are, but seeing one in person will convince ya fast :beer:
MDF
Newb

Postby gangrig25 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 pm

barnhill910 wrote:Im looking to move up in the world before next year. I mostly hunt the coast of NC on pamlico and albemarle sounds. Im looking to get a boat a little more built for big water hunting something with a V hull to cut the waves. I have a 19 foot carolina skiff that we have been using but if the waves pick up its not that dry of a ride. Whatever I get needs to be somewhat of a muti purpose boat. I need a boat that I can run 2 layouts with 20+ doz decoys. Also need it to not draft much water to get us to our shoal blinds. Also I want to run a true NC scissor rig on the boat so I need alot of room for trees in the bow. I have been looking at privater boat works at there 2002 roomer skiff and putting twin 90's on it.

Specifications
Centerline - 20'2"
Beam - 7'10"
Cockpit depth aft - 21"
Freeboard aft - 24"
Draft - 7"
Maximum h.p. - 185
Minimum h.p. to plane - 35
Hand laid construction
Transom height - 20" std.
Fuel capacity - 41 gal. std.
External keel - 2"
Self-bailing moored
Wide non-skid washboards
Forward storage locker
Inner hull bilge pipe
Stable, dry, easy-planning

Any ideas on a boat that is comparable to this boat?

I have a 2002, been hunting out of it for a few years now....no complaints really. They are light, drift shallow and it doesn't take much to get'em on top. The ride depends mostly on the captain. :thumbsup:
And just so happens, my brother is looking to sell one right now.
2002 OD green, 150 Yamaha 4 stroke, dual axle i beam trailer. I think he's asking 11 for it, I think...
gangrig25
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I have an 18 ft polarcraft and although you are looking for a bigger boat I would reccomend them. Have had it for almost 10 years and never a problem with it ever and the biggest waves I look at with 35 mph wind on a "small" lake (800+ acres) about 2-3 ft and cuts through them pretty good with 4 guys, 4 layout blinds, 10dz dekes, guns, etc. Just my opinion. Something to consider.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Black Smoke wrote:I have an 18 ft polarcraft and although you are looking for a bigger boat I would reccomend them. Have had it for almost 10 years and never a problem with it ever and the biggest waves I look at with 35 mph wind on a "small" lake (800+ acres) about 2-3 ft and cuts through them pretty good with 4 guys, 4 layout blinds, 10dz dekes, guns, etc. Just my opinion. Something to consider.

THE OP is wanting a boat for Pamlico Sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is Jack and the Bean Stalk Giant different that your waters!!!! 8-12 foot seas can happen, just on the way back in after hunting calm waters all morning!!!!!!!

the TOOL
toolmaker
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:28 pm

toolmaker wrote:
Black Smoke wrote:I have an 18 ft polarcraft and although you are looking for a bigger boat I would reccomend them. Have had it for almost 10 years and never a problem with it ever and the biggest waves I look at with 35 mph wind on a "small" lake (800+ acres) about 2-3 ft and cuts through them pretty good with 4 guys, 4 layout blinds, 10dz dekes, guns, etc. Just my opinion. Something to consider.

THE OP is wanting a boat for Pamlico Sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is Jack and the Bean Stalk Giant different that your waters!!!! 8-12 foot seas can happen, just on the way back in after hunting calm waters all morning!!!!!!!

the TOOL

Ocean waves, no problem
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm

jehler wrote:
toolmaker wrote:

the TOOL

Ocean waves, no problem

you maybe thinking swells....

waves: 10 footers, 10 yards apart.....with the rouge 14 footer every 15 waves or so.....different story

plus when the deep water meets the shallows it can get really ugly....thats the type of water the Sound is.

thats in a different universe than an 800 acre lake....of course the biggest waves i have seen in person were on Lake Ontario one january.....over 16 feet easily...might have been 20......luckily I was on shore watching them break....

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 am

Dude chill out all I was saying was that Polar Kraft are well made boats I realize what the sound is all about I've been there and yes i've seen 20' swells on Lake Erie and Michigan nothing new to me. I'm from FL I've seen it before when the huricanes come, i've surfed the s**t. Just my opinion on a boat that's all TOOL no need to get your panties all in a bunch.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 pm

toolmaker wrote:
jehler wrote:
toolmaker wrote:

the TOOL

Ocean waves, no problem

you maybe thinking swells....

waves: 10 footers, 10 yards apart.....with the rouge 14 footer every 15 waves or so.....different story

plus when the deep water meets the shallows it can get really ugly....thats the type of water the Sound is.

thats in a different universe than an 800 acre lake....of course the biggest waves i have seen in person were on Lake Ontario one january.....over 16 feet easily...might have been 20......luckily I was on shore watching them break....

the tool

Just cause you're scared of waves doesn't mean the boat can't handle it
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

PreviousNext