Covering layout boat with tarp or....

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Covering layout boat with tarp or....

Postby waveslider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 am

Hey guys,

I'm doing some after-the-season projects and tests. I've got a boat that is suitable for open water layout hunting but isn't the dedicated pumpkin-seed type design. I've heard other people have put Visqueen draped over their boats to help hide the transition between boat and water.

It seems to me that some kind of grey/silver colored tarp might be a better alternative rather than transparent plastic film.

Has anyone experimented with different materials for this type of use? Just wanting to short circuit any unproductive time spent experimenting with something people have already tried.

Thanks
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Covering layout boat with tarp or....

Postby m.teeter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 am

There is someone making a canvas tarp now that has water printed on it. Would work perfect. Kinda pricy though but would be big enough to do probably 3 or 4 layout boats. Ill try and find the website for ya.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 am

If you look at the lock stock and barrel site there is some articles on the visqueen sp?. I bought a big roll of it at Home Depot was very cheap and I'm going to try it out this year.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby boney fingers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm

I would think you would be pulling out your hair dealing with plastic on a windy day plus its one more thing to drag along. as far as color goes there is no perfect color; it changes by the minute sometimes. Here are 2 photos taken 30 seconds apart.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Forgetting for the moment how much of a headache it would be, wouldn't something like Mylar be pretty crazy?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 pm

i know i might be resurrecting this thread, but i have been experimenting with the same idea. was planning on using black plastic/ visqueen, but was mostly planning on scouting out a spot where the divers routinely fly lower to the water line instead of overhead (i think this is more important than color of visqueen). let me know what you end up with.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

Make sure the visqueen is long enough it drapes into the water. You can fold the edge so it is doubled and seal it with green duct tape. Use that reinforced edge to add small weights or short lengths of PVC pipe to act like a water keel around the edges of the plastic. This will keep the edges under the surface of the water, preventing the plastic from blowing around in the wind.

You can just tape the weights in place inside the folded plastic. You can use the neck wrap weights for duck decoys. Put a stitch or two at each end to hold the weights in place. No more problems with wind blowing the plastic around. I helped a buddy set his boat up this way last season and will be setting it up for the layout I am going to buy here shortly.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm

we used monongahide over canoes . we cut a slit in it and slid on in.its heavy, and expensive, but it worked well for what we were doing.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby loon » Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 am

I have some short sections of rebar that I plan on using as weight in the Visqueen . What I'm really excited to try is to use this plastic on the edge of a wide open gravel bar to try to blend in with the water . Early in the season we can just lay on our backs on the gravel and do very well but as the birds get educated they are less likely to fully commit. The roll of visqueen that I bought was $25 so it's a cheap experiment.
Last edited by loon on Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
loon
hunter

Postby loon » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am

I think the black plastic is the wrong idea as flat black is one of the most visible colors from the air if your boat is already gray the cloudy semi opaque plastic will add a Reflection and transparency similar to water.
loon
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 pm

The guys who use visqueen use the clear stuff.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 am

For the guys using the visqueen why not just roll the boat over and duct tape the visqueen to the bottom and there'd be nothing hanging in the water no wghts and no wind flap cut a small opening for the cockpit wouldn't this be easier?
loon
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting