shallow water layout hunting.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

shallow water layout hunting.

Postby timbertime » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

I hunt shallow water ranging in depth from sixteen inches to three foot deep. We normally hunt anywhere from 75 to 300 yards from shore and build a blind to hunt divers. I have an opportunity to purchase two layout boats at a very reasonable price and am wondering if any of u guys use your layouts in shallow water. It seems that it should be no different than deep water minus need for tender. I will use the same stand I use for my dog when hunting from a blind and just let him retrieve (theoretically). There are always a variable or two that I don't consider. I have never hunted out of a layout in any form, so any advice or consideration would be appreciated.
timbertime
hunter

Re: shallow water layout hunting.

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

I have hunted my UFO in less then 3 feet many times. I hunt a spot where the middle of the river is only 3 to 5 feet deep. The bluebills love it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby boney fingers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

I know guys that do it, the biggest problem would be divers are tough to kill and you will lose lots of birds without a tender. If your used to hunting shore without a tender you would probably know this.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16 pm

We regularly use our layout boats in shallow water. In fact, we probably use them just as much in shallow water as we do in deep. By shallow I'm talking 12-18 inches. We also use them in the marsh from time to time and take grass mats and camo them up.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm

boney fingers wrote:I know guys that do it, the biggest problem would be divers are tough to kill and you will lose lots of birds without a tender. If your used to hunting shore without a tender you would probably know this.

My tender needs 7" sitting 4" under power.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby loon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 am

I use a layout boat in Shallow water I hunt a huge flat that is 2 to 3 feet deep without a tender. The key is to be quick on a crippled bird firing a fast follow-up shot or even getting out of the boat for a chase. Even though my hunting partner has a good retriever I prefer not to use it for divers. There aren't too many dogs that can out swim even a hard-hit wounded whistler.
Last edited by loon on Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby g_maxson » Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am

IMO, shallow water has it's benefits.

#1 you don't have to run long lines
#2 you don't have to run long lines
#3 you don't have to run long lines

Not that running long lines is a big deal, but you can set a lot better spread and do a lot better hiding the boat when you can surround it by singles and don't need to leave a path for the tender.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 pm

I hunt swallow water some. I enjoy it, I really think that the spreads look a lot better without long lines. Just me.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I use LL's in shallow / deep water. They make putting out and pulling in a lot faster.

In shallow water I will use singles at the top of the spread to make it look more realistic.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby timbertime » Fri May 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the responses.
timbertime
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I use LL's in shallow / deep water. They make putting out and pulling in a lot faster.

In shallow water I will use singles at the top of the spread to make it look more realistic.

Totally agree. I would rather use long lines, they are very effective and fast to set up. Until divers get enough pressure to smarten up there is no reason for anything else. I will sometimes through singles out, but it really only appeases me. I don't think it really matters.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Return to Diver Duck Hunting