open water boat advice

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

open water boat advice

Postby gomarsh » Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Looking to focus more attention on big water. I currently have a 15' deep v that is fiberglass...(Old boat), but would like to upgrade to an all aluminum hull. Looking at something that is affordable and 16' to 18' in length with a wide beam. This boat would be used for the great lakes, Niagara river, st Lawrence river, and finger lakes region. I lived in NC for four years, and got really into hunting diver ducks, and sea ducks from a boat. Now that I am back home I would like to focus on the same type of hunting. Growing up I always hunted marshes, or divers from land. Did well, but I love hunting over big water with 100+ decoys. Just nothing like it to me. My boat works well, but I just don't have the room, especially with my new dog being picked up this Friday. Any suggestions for a good, affordable deep v aluminum hull would be nice. Thanks
gomarsh
hunter

Re: open water boat advice

Postby Tealer » Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 am

In the big water I really like fiberglass over aluminum. What is the boat market like out there?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

I have always found that big water was best handled by a heavier boat. Glass is my material of choice for big water situations. Aluminum tends to ride harder due to hull designs and weight issues.

If you want to upgrade the boat size, I would do some serious looking on Craigslist for fiberglass boats that are the size you want. You can often find a great glass boat in good to great conditions for killer prices.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 pm

I don't think I will be hunting to much in very rough water. I have a 25hp bigfoot that I got two years ago. It is only a few years old, and I would like to possibly retain it for my new boat. I was thinking aluminum hull because it is lighter. I was also concerned about Ice, is a glass boat going to crack or puncture easier than aluminum?
gomarsh
hunter

Postby JinAK » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:14 am

Just bite the bullet and get the cadillac of open water boats. Just picked up my Duckwater this spring. Cant wait to hunt it this year.
Attachments
Duck19.JPG
JinAK
hunter

Postby gander_lander34 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 am

^^^^^ X2 ^^^^^

I'm getting ready to pick up a duckwater next weekend. I wanted a fiberglass one (i.e. a bankes), but after hunting with a guide up in New England that had a Duck Water, I changed my mind. While the weight will be lighter with a fiberglass boat, if you end up wanting to hunt near rocks or anything like that, you'll end up spider cracking your hull. There were no issues at all with the boat and trucking through 3-4 foot seas.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:19 pm

I wish I could afford one.......I am at the start of my career, just bought a dog, have a 2 year old and four year old, and a mortgage.....not gonna happen yet, but wish......In the mean time i will have to custom modify one. I ended up getting a 17' sea nymph deep v. It will work for now I guess.
gomarsh
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:48 pm

JinAK wrote:Just bite the bullet and get the cadillac of open water boats. Just picked up my Duckwater this spring. Cant wait to hunt it this year.

I have hunted a couple of duck waters, let us know after the first season.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby dthur » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am

Get a beamy 16'-17' (most 16') are 16'-7" or thereabouts anyway, 70" something beam alum and you will be set. The fiberglass is heavy but rides nice, warmer in the winter and easy to repair. Alum is lighter, easy to launch, trailer and move around the yard, but they sure conduct the cold from the water. The "very" most important thing is "CHOOSE YOUR WEATHER", you know the rest of the story. Good luck.
dthur
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:36 am

dthur wrote:Get a beamy 16'-17' (most 16') are 16'-7" or thereabouts anyway, 70" something beam alum and you will be set. The fiberglass is heavy but rides nice, warmer in the winter and easy to repair. Alum is lighter, easy to launch, trailer and move around the yard, but they sure conduct the cold from the water. The "very" most important thing is "CHOOSE YOUR WEATHER", you know the rest of the story. Good luck.

Good advice, especially regarding the weather. Going out when you shouldn't and overloading your boat, regardless of its size, are two of the biggest recipies for disaster out there. I have an 18ft fiberglass center-console, but still sometimes hunt the bay from my canoe, but ONLY when safe to do so and never far from shore (and while wearing a PFD!)
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby baysportfishing » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 am

I have a Starcraft Freedom 180T for sale with a 90hp Mercury 4-stroke. It is an awesome tender and fishing boat.
https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/20714

$19,000
sagadyr@yahoo.com
baysportfishing
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm

I have run Lund Alaskans for years and they're tough. Never in the ocean, just larger lakes i.e- Lake of the Woods, Lake Nipigon, Lake Superior. Easy to beach and to get around in. Best of luck. Mauser :thumbsup:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Well I ended up getting a 17' sea nymph aluminum deep v with a 6' beam I picked it up for $1400 with a trailer and a 35HP. I have done some work to it already, and I will post pics of the before and after. I think it came out fairly decent. And I could not beat the price. S
gomarsh
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting