painting diver decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

painting diver decoys?

Postby teal12 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am

i have about three dozen old mallard decoys and am needing to add some color to my spread and i have noticed a lot of blue bills and other divers in my area in the past two years. What pattern do you usually paint your divers to look most realistic and add the most color for visibility? How many of these decoys should i paint as divers and how many should i repaint as mallards. What type of paint do you use to paint your decoys? Pictures would be a huge help also. Any and all help is appreciated as i have only been waterfowl hunting the past two years. Thanks
teal12
hunter

Re: painting diver decoys?

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 am

Search the duck decoy forum for painting or turning mallards into divers.....lots of info and pictures.

Here's a start:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=221615&hilit=painting#p2010781

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=170731&start=25&hilit=painting#p1865895
tenfingergrip
hunter

Re: painting diver decoys?

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Do a search under my name here and you will find a full write up on diver painting. It is easy and can be fun. I would paint them all as divers if it were me. If you have lots of divers the black and white will draw them in to your spread. It also makes the spread stand out for other ducks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting