Long Line Spread?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Long Line Spread?

Postby preacherdan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm

I normally hunt shallow water , holes, sloughs, rivers etc. but i would like to hunt some big water and i was wondering if anyone used the "rig em right" gigs, i have never ran long lines , never needed to, any tips towards what to buy , as far as the long line , anchors, drops, decoys etc. and how yall set the spread would be great, thanks guys
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Long Line Spread?

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I use doctari's long lines and either window weights or 5 lb bar weights, I like the 36 "drops so u can if need be drive through the decoys, as far as spreads it just depends on what ur hunting and where
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby jeepman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:52 pm

I'll second for doctori's products. I just got into making my own rigs, but have used both Rig em Right and Doctori stuff. I think that the line clips hold much tighter from doctori. 36 inch drops are ideal so you can drive through them but if you are only hunting shallow where you don't need to drive through the decoys you could go shorter. I think shorter drops reduce the risk of tangles if you plan of leaving the lines rigged for set up and take down IMO.
jeepman
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks guys, the big water ill be hunting is deep, so i will take your advice with the 36" drops, now do you like a J hook spread with these long lines? Generally how many are u setting out? How many decoys per rig? And what is your favorite decoy to put out, like would u reccomend bright and big, maybe canvasbacks? Or an assortment of all kinds of divers?
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby jeepman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 am

I do a dozon decoys per line. I also do J-hooks and a fan type spread. Each area is different on the amount of decoys you may need. We typically put out 7 or 8 dozon, but you may need more or could use less. It's dependent on where you hunt and you will only know after you hunt it a few times trying different things. as for set ups i use alot of scaups (Bluebills) and ringnecks with some buffle heads and golden eyes also. I've noticed divers like to land with their own kind so we don't mix up decoys we keep them segrigated on the lines so for example if i had a half dozon ring necks and goldens we might put them on the same line just not mixed. Lastly as with all other forms of waterfowl hunting, haveing the decoys for the birds you are after will make the hunt more successful then maybe the singles and doubles that might drop in coincidentally.
jeepman
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 am

Okay great, sounds good. Do u prefer tangle free , ghg? For your diver decoys
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby m.teeter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Like quack whacked said Doctari is the way to go. Great product and I'm pretty sure they are a lot cheaper than the rig em rights. Window weights or plate weights make great anchors. Might even be able to find them cheap at yard sales too.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:16 pm

preacherdan wrote:Okay great, sounds good. Do u prefer tangle free , ghg? For your diver decoys

I am a big fan of the Higdon foam filled decoys. I'm not sure if they make cans, but their Ring necks and blue bills are not bad for the price. For everything else i have GHG's they have been good decoys and i haven't had to buy more yet, but when i do i think i might try some other brands to see them.
jeepman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 pm

start small. you can always add if needed.

i run ghg and some foamers if needed. you will shoot them. get over it now.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:30 pm

I hunt over 10 doz diver decoys, number's is the name of the game. I also use window weights, as far as a spread i typically make giant holes up wind and set up in front of them,,, in open deep water i just get the numbers out and use the layout up wind or off to the side in a pocket.Also might be a good idea to practice setting lines out in the day in the off season before u try it in the dark opening a.m, , if you want good big decoys that can be scene from far away witch is a key factor and u might not need A's many, i would use bigger water decoys, they won't sink and their way bigger then plastics and they last! , www.biggerwaterdecoys.com .
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby Chet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 pm

I bought two of the Rig-em Right kits a couple of years ago and I have been very pleased so far. One word of caution, the line is pretty smooth and your anchor knots better be pretty darn substantial or you will lose an anchor.

Other than that, I run about 4 dozen canvasbacks and 7 dozen bluebills and I have had great luck so far out of my layout boat. I generally run a large J-hook set with the boat in the decoys near where the straight part of the hook meets the curve.

Best,

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 pm

To avoid the slipping of the rig em right rope tie a loop at the end of your lines, ,,,keep your weights that attach to your main line in a 5.gallon pall, each anchor i use, i have a rig em right long line clip that i use on all my Line's so it clips onto the line, ,, you will have less knots and more time to set up the right way,,,, clip yhe weight's onto the line loop at the end,,, as well i use An extension cord real, heavy duty that i have all my pre length lines on! !!
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby Chet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:21 pm

fowlplayx wrote:To avoid the slipping of the rig em right rope tie a loop at the end of your lines, ,,,keep your weights that attach to your main line in a 5.gallon pall, each anchor i use, i have a rig em right long line clip that i use on all my Line's so it clips onto the line, ,, you will have less knots and more time to set up the right way,,,, clip yhe weight's onto the line loop at the end,,, as well i use An extension cord real, heavy duty that i have all my pre length lines on! !!

That's a great idea. I will try that.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm

new nugger wrote:You keep talking Doctari but what you're forgetting is that Doctari is buying it from memphis net and twine and marking it up. You can buy 3 fold from memphis as to what you're paying at Doctari.

Did not know that. Will definitely be checking them out. Thanks for the tip.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 pm

I buy my main lines from Memphis net as well. I use the #120 tarred line and then use the #72 for droppers. I do order my longline clips from doctari in bulk as that is the cheapest place I have found for them. I can make a few lines for the same price of 1 from doctari.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Shade » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:22 pm

I buy my supplies from Seattle Marine Supply.

1 550ft roll of #120 Braided Tarred Line = $55
100 6" gang clips = $65.

I made 4 100' lines, 2 50' lines, and 2 20' extension lines. I use 400lb Black Mono for the 36" droppers and buy the Crimps and Swivels in Bulk. Think my total cost when done was $150.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice! Any one got any heavy weights for singels cheap?
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 pm

fowlplayx wrote:Nice! Any one got any heavy weights for singels cheap?

Goodwill. Gym weights.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Shade wrote:I buy my supplies from Seattle Marine Supply.

1 550ft roll of #120 Braided Tarred Line = $55

Yikes...... Memphis net is only $35 for 550 feet of #120 tarred
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Gym weight? Hmmm. I'm looking for around 1 pound for the heavy current and waves, i tried railroad spikes the problem is i don't like that shot rig em right crimping rubber line and that cheap braided stuff always brakes, I'm using rig em right heavy stuff works well on most days but they normally all slip in good fowl weather, I'm all set with long line stuff just trying to find tune my singles for war
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Sorry shot ghg rubber crimps
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 am

fowlplayx wrote:Nice! Any one got any heavy weights for singels cheap?

Make your own with lead and a muffin pan
trigger22
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am

That's probably the perfect amount of weight i need too! Thanks, next is what's the best line any of you use for singles
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:41 pm

I use #36 tarred line from Memphis Net for singles. I have used fishing line, cheap ghg line, weed eater line, and PVC tanglefree line and the tarred #36 is my favorite. I also rig all of my singles with bungees. I buy 100 foot spools of bungee cord and tie them in a loop. My weight goes through the loop and my line is the tied to the loop as well. Wrap up the line and pull the loop of bungee either around the bill or around the keel
trigger22
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 am

PiC please?
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting