Most valuable boat mod for diver hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Most valuable boat mod for diver hunting

Postby pweisbrod » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Here in mn, you can't do layout hunting, and you can't hunt from open water. Must be at least partially concealed in standing vegetation. I am converting all but 6-12 of my diver dekes to longline clips, and I will be putting a short (18" or so) hard side blind on my 18' deep v boat.

This is my first diver specific boat, and it isn't really a tender, since I have to hunt from it when I hunt deep water.

Anyway: suggestions for your favorite mods you made to your rig to make hunts easier and more successful?

Getting ready for the divers to show up.... Oh wait, it's July. :hammer:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Re: Most valuable boat mod for diver hunting

Postby TooTall » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Hard side blinds are great for hunting out of, just make sure you can put out and pull up the decoys easily. Some permanent blinds make it a pain to pull up a rig.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 am

Thanks TooTall, I was thinking I'd have a door with latches on either side, as well as one the bow.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:32 pm

a heater
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Amen. I will be bringing the sunflower heater this year. Didn't have one last season.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:51 pm

A paint roller, on a 6' pole, with the roller removed. Great for grabbing lines. Be safe....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:48 pm

mauserfan wrote:A paint roller, on a 6' pole, with the roller removed. Great for grabbing lines. Be safe....mauser :wink:

WOW. that is an awesome Idea. I usually net up the first deke on the longline - this would work even better. :D
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 pm

mauserfan wrote:A paint roller, on a 6' pole, with the roller removed. Great for grabbing lines. Be safe....mauser :wink:

A decoy pole works wonders and it stretches to 18'.

I am not sure what to offer as far as boat mods that law is ridiculous. Why no open water hunting?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:24 pm

They've made it legal on a few of our largest bodies of water now. I still don't have a layout though. Nor does I live near any of said bodies of water....
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm

a good motor & a good backup motor. when you in the open water you have to trust you motor.... and when that fail's you really have to trust that back up. I have a 4 hp on the decoy tender boat that i'll throw on the big boat in a heart beat and limp in if need be. ive only had it happen once and i towed the big boat in with the tender... it wasent pretty, but everyone's alive to talk about it. and we limited out on geese...
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 pm

bigbuckilla wrote:a good motor & a good backup motor. when you in the open water you have to trust you motor.... and when that fail's you really have to trust that back up. I have a 4 hp on the decoy tender boat that i'll throw on the big boat in a heart beat and limp in if need be. ive only had it happen once and i towed the big boat in with the tender... it wasent pretty, but everyone's alive to talk about it. and we limited out on geese...

I have an 8hp kicker that runs like a top! And I agree. I've been stranded before, not something I want to experience again. :eek:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting