38 Herters Blue Bill Decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

38 Herters Blue Bill Decoys

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

Alright guys,

My buddy picked up 38 Herters blue bill dekes from a guy in trade for a junk truck. They are in damn good condition and already have the clips on 32 of them for gang rigging and 6 of them with mushroom weights. We setup on an island last year on a public lake with tons of divers on it mostly buffleheads. Will buffies not come into these dekes? We had a spread of about 3 dozen floater geese off of the point; mallards, wigeon, and woodies right in front slightly to the right and the blue bills out to the front in straight line formation with a couple mojos in the puddlers. Is this too much or am I setting the gang rigs wrong or too close to the island? Anyone every hunted in the middle of a lake with a regular boat with a pop up blind (Avery blind)? I want to sell the decoys because of the lack of success with them but I need an opinion on how to set the dekes? Need some help boys!
Last edited by Black Smoke on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: 38 Higdon Blue Bill Decoys

Postby jeepman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Buffleheads will come into the dekes but in my opinion it's best to have the type of decoy out for the ducks you are hunting. As for you rigs you are setting up 1 really long line ( like 100 yards worth=3 dozon decoys) straight out from the boat in a straight line? It's difficult to tell what might be going wrong but if what you are dong isn't working i'd try something differnt. depending on the situation we like to set ours up in kind of a fan formation with a dozon on each 140 foot line or a J shape set up so they will follow the line down and kind of land in the pocket in theory. As for hunting out of a regular boat it can be done depending on the size of the water and the weather.
jeepman
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 pm

I hunt a local lake for divers near an island similar to what you describe.

Depending on how deep the water you hunt is, I would put together 2 or 3 long lines for the blue bills. If it is shallow have 2 - 12 bird long lines and use the rest as singles to form a J hook downwind or to put a group of decoys at the top of the long lines. If it is deeper use 3 or 4 longlines - 8 to 12 birds each and stack them 3 yards apart in a rough square. I usually run three longlines with a longer line parallel to and closest to the boat. I then run the two shorter lines further away form the boat and close together. This creates a landing pocket at the top and bottom of the diver spread. BB and other divers will usually land in the upwind pocket. The BH's always seem to land just outside the decoys or come screaming by 15 yards outside the deeks. On another note, I often put the closest longline 10 to 15 yards from the boat. This puts the furthest line 20 to 25 yards from the boat which is perfect for judging shooting distance. I normally don't shoot until the first divers are over or are landing in my furthest decoys.

Put your puddler decoys anywhere you like according to the wind and island situation, etc.... I would make a point of painting up or buying 6 buffle head decoys and putting them out. Put them in separate groups of no more than 4 birds and preferably less. With 6 BH decoys I would paint 4 of them as hens. Only use one drake per grouping. This will bring in a lot more BH's. If you want more than a buzzing pass by from Bh's you want some BH decoys in the appropriate place in your spread. Having more hens always seems to get them to want to land instead of doing a buzz pass outside the deeks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 pm

If you want to shoot buffleheads, only put out bufflehead decoys. You don't need a lot of them either, four or five will work. I like to use mostly hen decoys.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks guys I will try it. I do have 6 buffleheads that are all drakes and 6 ringnecks in seperate group from the BB's just off the lines. If that changes anything let me know.
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: 38 Herters Blue Bill Decoys

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Paint 4 of the BH decoys as hens and break them into smaller groups at each end of your spread. I would used a larger spread and use the puddler's inside the divers as well. This gives you a good chance of drawing other birds into shooting range.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby fastpitchdad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:52 am

do you still have the Herters decoys? Are they th 72 model (larger)? If so, how much? Joe 608-728-2224
fastpitchdad
Newb

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 am

Fastpitch, sorry man I think I am going to keep them at least another year and try my luck again hoping to kill some birds over them. I am taking some advice and hoping that it is going to work for me. If you guys have any other suggestions please feel free to post up I am always willing to listen to new ideas.
Black Smoke
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting