Big Spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Big Spreads

Postby Mississippi Gunner » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 am

I hunt over 500 decoys, most of which are divers. does anyone have pictures or diagrams of spreads. or can someone help me with my setup.
we run two long 75 yard lines off the north and south of our decoys should we run these directly into our diver spread or should it go along the outside.
Mississippi Gunner
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Are you layout hunting? Your long lines should terminate at your layout boat or into a rig of puddlers or 12 or 20 divers in a raft.....with a hole to land in. Divers arent as finicky about flying over decoys as are puddlers. With a rig that big you'll probably know that divers will follow that line and light on top of your head.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby DaveMD » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:33 am

500 Decoys! Do you put these out each time you hunt? what kind are you using and how long does it take you to set up.
DaveMD
hunter

Postby Mississippi Gunner » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 am

I am hunting out of a blind that is in the middle of the river. we set out our decoys at the beginning of the year and leave them out until the ice comes in. we do hunt over puddlers too but most of the ducks that we kill are divers. our spread consists of 3/4 divers and 1/4 puddlers. we also have about 18 goose floaters and two vortexes that work great on the puddlers but have no affect on the divers.
Mississippi Gunner
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:55 am

you might want to check out your regs on that... i know in idaho you cant leave your decoys unattended, or set them out more than two hours before shooting time...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:you might want to check out your regs on that... i know in idaho you cant leave your decoys unattended, or set them out more than two hours before shooting time...

good advice kiddo :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Decoy spreads

Postby HOLYSTEEL » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 pm

Thats pretty much a state call... In IL on the mississippi I know guys will use cut up snow fence posts and drive each post with a decoy on it so floating debris during the season does not wipe out the spread...these spreads are 400 to 500 hundred and you are gunning from a two story beaver hut that is made( shooting from 14 feet down on the ducks backs makes small work for survival) from 200 plus saplings plus the 4x4 frame holding us up in the air and a crapload of pine bows. Been there done that and the dekes sit all season and the same can be said of IN where on cedar lake the decoys sit around square oak branch blinds 300 plus until they start to freeze in the ice. my two pennies..Peace out HOLYSTEEL
Rock Skipp'n Divers
HOLYSTEEL
hunter

Postby Billblue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:08 am

One question,

How do you keep from getting them stolen?
Billblue
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:00 am

As far as being stolen, some people build up a reputation that is best not to mess with. Other times, you get to know the blinds around you, or someone who hunts many days of the week, and ask them to keep an eye out. Most theives are opportunist, so if there is a lot of work involved in stealing the dekes, then theives will shy away. I've had my dekes stolen before, they were on private land, but became easily accessible when the ground froze.
goosetalk
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting