first time diver hunting questions

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

first time diver hunting questions

Postby tsj » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:56 pm

i will be going to n.d. this fall plan on hunting divers some . i have adout three dozen diver decoys. they are mainly bluebills. we will have to hunt from shore. just wondering how to set decoys and what to look for as far as where to set up on a lake
tsj
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:42 pm

You said you were hunting from shore, will you have any kind of boat at all? What I would do is spend some time scouting the area. Sure you may loose some hunting time, but you will make up for it by hunting where the birds want to be instead of where you want them to be. Look for their feeds and roosting spots find a good point in between them. Since you only have 3doz decoys keep them spread out, it makes your spread look bigger. Good luck, 870 peace out :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby tsj » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:47 pm

we will hane a small canoe with us. we will also have 5-6 dozen mallard decoys. should i mix some of these in my spread. also how do you set the j does the long end go torward the wind or with it any info will help thanks.
tsj
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:28 pm

The long leg of the J runs with the wind (it points downwind), that way when the birds fly into the wind to land they will follow the long leg of the J into the main body of the spread (the hook of the J). It couldn't hurt to put some of the mallard dekes off to the side of the divers if you will be seeing mallards. Be careful with the canoe. We used to hunt the lakes with canoes and we had some hairy times. Keep a close eye on the weather reports, and pick up before things get bad. One thing that helped us was setting the deep water decoys (the ones you can't wade to) on long lines with the close end of the long lines anchored in shallow water where we could reach it by wading. That way if the weather got bad we could pick up the decoys without using the boat. As long as we weren't on an island we could drag the boat back through the shallow water.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:59 pm

tsj, Personally I would leave the canoe to home they have their place, but it’s not out on a lake hunting divers! Sorry man that’s my opinion, I say that so you won’t become a statistic. Try to find a better boat before you go.

Now when it comes to mixing your Mallards with your Broadbills and in the shape of a J-hook, keep your Mallards close to shore and make the short end of your J with them. Then long line or place your single divers on the long end of the J, have them meet up with your Mallards in the bottom or pocket of your J-Hook. Good luck Bro, 870 peace out
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby tsj » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:38 pm

thanks, we are only taking the canoe back up, my dads dog died last summer and i dont have one (very small kids) yet. i hope to be able to shoot some divers as i have always wanted to hunt them but have very limited opertunitys in the part of iowa i live. hopefully i acn post some pics when i get back. good hunting this season.
tsj
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:18 pm

tsj- I use my canoe everywhere I go. Be smart and wear a jacket in transit and you will be fine.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:09 pm

A few years ago I bought a float coat by Stearns and I like it a lot. It's a warm coat and with it I always have a life jacket on. It's a little stiff at first, but it has broken in and I've gotten used to shooting with it on. Plus it cost less than many of the parkas.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

divers

Postby Quackster » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:39 am

We have alot of success hunting from the bank (bluebills,redheads) in south alabama. But we have a dog. I will reccomend when you knock down a bird, be sure he is dead before moving to the next bird. Not having a boat means not collecting any cripples. Just a thought to keep in mind.
Quackster
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting