layout boat paint - sunfish sailboat conversion

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

layout boat paint - sunfish sailboat conversion

Postby grandquay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Guys - posted this in the boats forum, but thought I may get better feedback here.

I picked up an old sunfish sailboat for $5 on craigslist and am working on turning it into a layout boat. Cut a bigger hole in the top, removed the dagger board port, and am re-glassing some dinged up areas. Getting close to putting a coat of paint on it. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on type and application? Planning on going with a battleship gray color and painting some wave camo (similar to the Bonneville boats) Thoughts on paint?

Also, if anyone has any experience with a conversion, let me know the do's and don'ts. I'm not far enough along where I couldn't change course.

Thanks!
grandquay
hunter

Re: layout boat paint - sunfish sailboat conversion

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 am

Can you post a pic?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby grandquay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm

right after purchase

after a lengthening cockpit

bottom

grandquay
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Nice good luck with it man keep me posted w/ pics you lucked out on that baby right there!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I have had great luck with parker paints in green bay they have a full line of paint for duck boats I use bay gray color. they are on the net as parker coatings and Cabelas sells them too
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Shade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't bother painting the bottom. Go to your local marine store and pick up a quart of 'Coat-It' made by Tap Plastics. Or order it online ... Mix up this Kevlar Epoxy and use a foam roller to spread it. You can get a nice thick layer with the foam roller in one application. This product will make a smooth, flexible, protective coating that is worth it's weight in gold for this type of boat. It's only about $30 and will adhere to wood, aluminum, or fiberglass. By far one of the best investments you can make for your boat. I used it on the hull of my aquapod and after it had cured, I accidently dropped the boat from about 3ft and it landed square on the keel on the concrete floor of my garage.... Didn't even scratch the Kevlar coating.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby grandquay » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks Shade. I just purchased some of that stuff on Amazon. Looks like a great product. I'll post pictures as I progress on the project.
grandquay
hunter

Postby alpenablackdog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Be sure you add lots of flotation to the front and rear of that neat little craft. You could use sheets of styro cut to the right size and glued up. Also fiberglass in some ribs to the interior of the boat and then put a wooden floor in, it makes it much nicer to use when
excess water is under the floor and not on you.
alpenablackdog
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:50 pm

grandquay wrote:Thanks Shade. I just purchased some of that stuff on Amazon. Looks like a great product. I'll post pictures as I progress on the project.

You won't be disappointed. I like it so much, I actually considered coating the entire hull of my aquapod with it. (It can be painted over)..... The only thing that stopped me from doing so was that I want to keep the weight down.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting