Ring Necks/ Strategy

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Ring Necks/ Strategy

Postby slowgo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:57 am

Hey fellas, looking to try and swing some ring necks here in NC. We get a few down river from where I usually hunt divers so I'm giving it a shot later this year. I have a question about strategy though. Will these birds swing into a hook spread, like bluebills would? I have a couple dozen ringer dekes and I'm thinking I can mix them in with the bluebills in your basic J hook spread. I've heard of guys killing ringnecks in deep pockets off of the river in coves and such but I think I would have more success on the bigger water, just because nobody hunts it. Lots of birds on the big water, just treacherous. I'm green in the ways of the ringneck, drop me some pointers. Thanks, slowgo.
slowgo
hunter

Postby Billblue » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:21 am

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

The guys that are hunting the coves are doing for a reason.

Ringnecks by nature prefer smaller water than Bluebills.They will use ponds, swamps,small laks with lot's of Lily pads.

You say the big water is treacherous. Better have a good boat and some knowledge of boat handling in rough water.

Ringnecks are the puddle duck of the diver world. Great fun to hunt.

I would try one of the coves and put nothing but Ringneck decoys out and see what happens.My2c
Billblue
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:27 am

Like Billblue said, Ringnecks prefer smaller, shallow water. In fact we kill many ringnecks, along with a few redheads and canvasbacks in a flooded bean and corn field. The occasional bluebill comes off the Mississippi to have a look too.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby slowgo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:20 am

Billblue, any particular spread style you would suggest, or just chunk them out there in a bunch like mallards? Also, if I put my mallard dekes out like normal and threw some ringers in the mix or maybe off to the side do you think that'll work?
slowgo
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:27 pm

i mix rignecks in with my mallards alot for visibility and we kill quite a few
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Billblue » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:13 pm

With the wind at your back if you want to use Mallards also,I would make two groups. Mallards one side Ringnecks on the other,with a 10/15 yard open hole between the two.

With a cross wind startind down wind run them up wind just past your blind make a small group there.

Run your Ringnecks about like you ran the Mallards.

Leave 10 yards between the two. The Ringnecks youdn't be more than 25 yards off the shore.

The cross wind set works real good as the birds are looking at nothing but open water.
Billblue
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting