Any tips for Arkansas canvasbacks

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Any tips for Arkansas canvasbacks

Postby ARduckboy24 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

I hunt a lot of timber and some fields in white county Arkansas and me and my dad both have been seioruly considering a guided diver hunt somewhere. But I'd really love if just me and him could on a hunt somewhere kills our cans and have a good farther son experience. We have absolutely 0 diver decoys all mallard and pintails. But I have a bunch of old flambeau decoys to repaint. Anybody's got some tips or a place to buy some cheap diver decoys?
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: Any tips for Arkansas canvasbacks

Postby Shade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Buy cheap mallard deeks off craigslist and use spray paint to make what ever diver you want. It works great, it's cheap, and you won't be upset when you shoot one and it sinks.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby COOP3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Wanna kill a canvasback? Get in touch with Greg Andrus at Catahoula Lake Guide Service. I've been goin down there for 10 years now and canvasbacks are the bread and butter duck down there. I've got one bull hanging on my living room wall from that lake.
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
COOP3
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:09 pm

It is going to be more about location than what decoys you have out. Can decoys in the timber aren't going to do much for you, but if you locate some on a lake you can kill them over puddle duck decoys. Finding a lake with some vegetation will be you best but, but I have killed a couple of lost ones while hunting over a flooded rice field.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 am

killed a juvie can drake last year on a swamp/lake (10 acres) over mallard dekes and a few buffies and ringnecks
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks guys also willing to trade a timber hunt
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting