Tips on hunting the lake

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Tips on hunting the lake

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:06 pm

I have a nice layout boat and the lake I hunt at have alot of ducks out in the middle ,so what tips can you give me for possibly bagging some of those,remember I'm new at duck hunting and this will be the first time laying out in the middle of the lake.any positive info will help.
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Layout hunting

Postby Dep666 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:37 pm

What kind of layout boat? I'm in the market for one. Pm me I have a few tips.
Dep666
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:16 pm

I have never layout boat hunted being it is illegal by state law here in MN.
But 2 general tips would be in order. Hunt the leeward side if windy out as divers generally like to get out of the big waves(safety factor for yourself too). And hunt where the food is like wild celery and such. Anothers words-be where the ducks want to be.

Hopefully some great lakes hunters will most up as I know some of them are very experienced in layout boat hunting.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:41 am

Do I need big numbers on my dekes,like 50,75,or what.When I was on the edge of the lake (about 60 yards from shore in some stumps) I had 2 dozen and they fly over me and went into the big group close to the middle of the lake.If I try the middle I don't think my 2 dozen are gonna make them look,am I right or wrong?
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:21 pm

Most of the layout hunters in michigan use lots of dekes. I would say a minimum of 6 dozen. Many use longlines (decoys are attatched to a mother line with a single heavy anchor) to make it easier.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Newbiewaterfowler,

Don't think I'm insulting your intel. when I ask...You are going to be using a tender aren't you ? That 50-75 decoy number would be a great starter number of dekes. Just out of curiosity,what's your plan of attack ?
aaron
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:51 pm

A tender???Your not insulting me but what is a tender?.The reason I asked about that amount is when I was on the lake Thurs morning I had 2 dozen and they were flying right by me and land in the huge group of about 200 or so about 120 yards away.So I figured a big spread would get them interested.If I wrong let me know thats why I posted it.I don't have that many dekes but I have 4 dozen and looking to buy more so I can go this weekend.But maybe 4 dozen is enough thats why I,m asking I'm trying to get my plan af attack so I have success.
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 pm

A tender is larger boat (16+ feet) used to ferry the layout boat, decoys, hunters, etc to the hunting locale. Usually 1 person hunts while the other(s) watch. They are responsible for retrieving ducks and ensuring the safety of the layout hunter in case he is in need of assistance. Layout hunting (especially on big water) can be very dangerous and extreme caution is necessary.

If you are hunting rafting ducks you will be most successfull with the most decoys you can bring. 100+ blocks will help imitate the large flocks you are seeing.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Fatguy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:38 pm

This was a good diver hunt on Lake Murray in Columbia South Carolina. All ringnecks and one Red Head.

That's Buster Brown " Buster " by the way
Fatguy
hunter

Postby big ben » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:09 am

Nice picture :thumbsup:
big ben
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:17 am

Nice pic. Nice ducks too :eek:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Fatguy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:32 pm

Thank you very much. That's my boy
Fatguy
hunter

Postby SLAMMINERIE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:25 pm

I DONT KNOW IF YOU STILL NEED HELP BUT I LAYOUT HUNT IN LAKE ERIE HERE ARE SOME TIPS I RUN A 20 FOOT ALASKAN LUND TENDER WITH A UFO OR A MLB LAYOUT I RUN 240+DECOYS ON MAIN LINES
SET YOUR LAYOUT BOAT SO AS IT IS GOING WITH THE WIND SO THE WIND IS AT YOUR BACK COCK IT JUST A LITTLE SO AS THE WIND IS IN YOUR EAR REMEMBER DUCKS LAND INTO THE WIND. RUN YOUR MAIN ANCHOR LINE 5 TIMES THE DEPTH IF YOUR IN 20FEET OF WATER RUN 100 FOOT ANCHOR LINE THE FRONT WEIGHT CAN BE JUST A 10POUND WEIGHT IF YOU ARE A LIGHTWEIGHT TO STOP THE BOAT FROM GETTING BOW SLAP USE SOME SANDBAGS TO WEIGH IT DOWN AS BOW SLAP CAN MESS THE BIRDS UP. TRY TO RUN BIG BLOCKS AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF LANDING ROOM FOR THEM SO THEY DONT LAND ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE DEKES.ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME :thumbsup:
SLAMMINERIE
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting