Goldeneye advice needed!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Goldeneye advice needed!

Postby gad daddy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Guy's i have been chasing goldies for 2 years now and still no luck, We have very low numbers of GE's here in Alabama, I was wandering what kinda decoys y'all use, numbers of decoys etc...I have tried all i know to do, so ny help would be greatly appeciated for this upcoming season! Thanks in advance David.
gad daddy
hunter

Re: Goldeneye advice needed!

Postby eagles2069 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am

Have you tried using some hen decoys? I would say if you don't see a big number of them I wouldn't throw out huge number of decoys. I would see where they like to hang out and throw maybe 6 or 7 decoys. I would use more hens than drakes. I hunt areas with decent amounts of GE and had more luck once I added hens into the spread.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am

Exactly.

Everyone seems to put out an all drake spread for divers. Buffies, Goldeneye, Blue Bill, etc..... all seem to decoy far better when there is a higher percentage of hens and immature drakes in the spread. Buffies like a 1 drake to 3 or 4 hen spread. They fly by an all drake or multi drake spread and come in to land like little rockets for a mainly hen spread. Goldeneye tend to do the same thing.

With many species of ducks the immature drakes look a lot like a hen. This means a natural flock of birds will have more "hens" in it than drakes. If you are not on the X and your spread doesn't look natural you are going to get blown off. Find the X and put the right spread out and they will come in hot and drop their feet. If your close to the X and have the right spread you will get close enough flyby's to get some shots.

We started practicing this with our puddler spreads as well and saw our close in action increase dramatically. I have gotten to where I normally use 1/4 drakes and 3/4 hens. During early season I often don't use any drakes at all and flat hammer the birds.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby gad daddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks alot guys. And yes I only have drake Goldie's so I need to invest in some hens... I have also heard that GE only stay with the own kind is this true?
gad daddy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:01 pm

GE's are racists of the highest order. They do not like to mix with other ducks a lot of the time.

Unless you are set on more decoys, don't bother buying more. Paint all but two of your drakes as hens. You really only need one or two drakes to pull GE's into your spread.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby gad daddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Ok thank guy's...What about coot decoys? Do they help with gold's or do harm?
gad daddy
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

I have a couple things for you - we used to shoot as few GEs in CT. Mostly hens, the drakes would be far & few between. Big, tough birds, if you wing one, be prepared for a lot of chasing at a duck that can swim 150 yards underwater. We rarely caught the wounded ones. Maybe carry a couple loads of #6 steel for head shots - you will get 1,2, maybe 3 shots at the cripple and then it is "see you later Louie"! Phenominal. (At least that's what it was like that where I was.)

OK - are you actually seeing any GEs? Can get any if you don't see them where you hunt. Yes sometimes an odd bird comes thru but typically you need to go where they are. I used to dream of getting a brant and even found a brant decoy once so I thought they were around...turned out that I was only about 15 miles from a wintering population but never knew it until the year I moved...this was before internet.

Then follow the directions about more hens than drakes. I used to rig 6 bufflehead decoys in a line 3 to 4 feet apart. 1 drake, 5 hens. They would land in between the decoys if we let them. The GE hens would do the same. The drakes would fly along the outside of them and land 50-60 yards away.

For your decoys, put them 20-25 yards away but on their own - at least 15 or 20 yards from the other decoys you have.

I wish you much success. :thumbsup:
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby gad daddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

MissedAgain wrote:I have a couple things for you - we used to shoot as few GEs in CT. Mostly hens, the drakes would be far & few between. Big, tough birds, if you wing one, be prepared for a lot of chasing at a duck that can swim 150 yards underwater. We rarely caught the wounded ones. Maybe carry a couple loads of #6 steel for head shots - you will get 1,2, maybe 3 shots at the cripple and then it is "see you later Louie"! Phenominal. (At least that's what it was like that where I was.)

OK - are you actually seeing any GEs? Can get any if you don't see them where you hunt. Yes sometimes an odd bird comes thru but typically you need to go where they are. I used to dream of getting a brant and even found a brant decoy once so I thought they were around...turned out that I was only about 15 miles from a wintering population but never knew it until the year I moved...this was before internet.

Then follow the directions about more hens than drakes. I used to rig 6 bufflehead decoys in a line 3 to 4 feet apart. 1 drake, 5 hens. They would land in between the decoys if we let them. The GE hens would do the same. The drakes would fly along the outside of them and land 50-60 yards away.

For your decoys, put them 20-25 yards away but on their own - at least 15 or 20 yards from the other decoys you have.

I wish you much success. :thumbsup:

As far as seeing them in mass amounts no. I usually find a small group anywhere from 4-6. I really need hen decoys way it sounds. I have been throwing a regular diver line then put 3-4 GE drakes about 25 yards apart. Closest I have any drakes was 75 yards on a swing. But we have had hen land with the drake deeks. We just don't shoot them. I am thinking about carving some hen goodies to see if this improves my success
gad daddy
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 am

If your a carver go for it! Carving is fun and a great way to make some decoys you can't find easily but if your not repaint some old mallards. That is what my GE hens are. I took some old decoys and just block paint them. Brown head with a grey body. I put a little detail work but that is probably more for my eyes than theirs. It's funny when you watch a GE hen land on one of the decoys and then looked mad and I know they are thinking why didn't you move jerk! haha. But repainting some old mallards might be a good help for this season. Good luck! :thumbsup:
eagles2069
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 am

I get to hunt a large population of Golden eyes here on the bay the last 2 weeks of the season it's all we get around here everything else has flown south. I also do about a 50/50 mix of drakes to hens . Also any decoy that gets shot gets repaired and repainted as a hen. I just repainted some of my GH G decoys But carving would be fun too! I also agree with the earlier comments about their toughness, You have to be prepared to put another shot into them the second they hit the water and my buddies and I cover each other if anybody has shells left. Definitely one of my favorites to hunt.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby gad daddy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the advice! Another qustion, If I'm going to hunt goldies only is that the only decoy i need to tthrow? Or mix Coots, Cans ETC...?
gad daddy
hunter

Postby loon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 am

Always best to copy what you see in nature in your area. Everyone knows mallards and goldeneyes dont hang out together but I see them feeding in completely co-mingled flocks in front of my house. they dont fly in together but once they are all on the water and actively feeding they are in one mixed megaflock. so last year I copied that wth my decoys with great results for both
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby blackened89 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I would hunt as late in the season as you can.
blackened89
hunter

Postby John Singer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 pm

There is a book written by the late John O'Cartier called Getting the Most Out of Modern Waterfowling. There is an entire chapter devoted to goldeneye hunting. He suggests and using only 1-1.5 dozen goldeneye decoys. You want to hunt from shore over a dark bottom.

Here is a link to the book at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Getting-most-out-modern-waterfowling/dp/B0006C9R60
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm

[quote="John Singer"]There is a book written by the late John O'Cartier called Getting the Most Out of Modern Waterfowling. There is an entire chapter devoted to goldeneye hunting. He suggests and using only 1-1.5 dozen goldeneye decoys. You want to hunt from shore over a dark bottom.

Some of my best GE/buffie shoots have come over a 2-3 dozen spread of buffies and goldeneyes.

I'd advise you to figure out where the birds lake to be on the lake and the set a ball of he decoys away from your other spread. Most of the GEs I see are always in little groups no more than ten...just lots of them. They will just about always land next to the GE decoys, ive seen them cross the entire spread just to sit next to them.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 am

ive only shot goldeneyes a couple times. We were hunting a river maybe 55 yards across...maybe a little more...on the saturday we were just eating and i noticed 4 fly in. Me and the guy i was hunting with shot 3 altogether. We had a mix of some mallards...lots of divers (redheads and bufleheads) and some geese off to the left. They landed by the buffleheads. All the decoys were on long lines. So i personally think any diver decoy with white on it will work and make sure you use a lot of divers. ALso late season is best...late october to closing is a good time for goldeneyes.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Feathers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Yea you need hens lol. These are divers. Don't think too much into it. Get another dozen Goldie's and you'll be fine.
Feathers
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting