New to shoveler hunting with gang lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

New to shoveler hunting with gang lines

Postby Southern Illinois Killer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm am new to hunting with gang lines. I have never used a pair or set of gang lines. I hunt a old strip mine in southern Illinois and every year I see diver go to the same spot when everything starts to freeze up. The spot where they are always at it is around 60 - 80 feet deep. I have never really tried to scout them or hunt them but, the time I do see them I usually see shovelers, some mallards :huh: , some redheads, and there are some coots. 1. Should I find some shallower water 2. What kind of decoys should I use 3. What gang line kit should I buy
Southern Illinois Killer
Newb

Re: New to shoveler hunting with gang lines

Postby m.teeter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm

My number one rule is always go where the birds want to be. Even if you have to get creative in order to hunt it. About the longlines, check out Doctari their products are great. We use them mainly for sea duck hunting, but for diver use as well. Hope this helps you out.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Southern Illinois Killer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks. How much do they usually cost. And what about amount and type of decoys should i use?
Southern Illinois Killer
Newb

Postby m.teeter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:49 am

The cost varies depending on how long a mainline and what size clips. Bigger the better with the clips when it gets cold. They should run around $30 or $40 per line but they are well worth it. Will last forever. As far as types and numbers of dekes depends on what kinds of birds you are targeting. I would suggest a herters decoy or some foam filled decoy or even carve your own. Anything that will not sink when accidentally shot. Which happens a lot with divers and sea ducks. Hope this helps. You're more than welcome to pm me if you have anymore questions.
www.doctarilonglines.com
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Buy a spool of sinking line, 3/8 black, from one of the commercial fishing supply places. I bought a 500 foot roll for under a hundred bucks a few years back. They use it on crab pots. Sinking line is great since it won't get hung in your prop and the dog can swim over it. Get a couple of dozen 6 inch SS snaps. I prefer to snap my decoys on the line with 3 foot drops. Use 5 pound dumbell weights or window sashes (they're cheap). Drop it in the 80 foot of water and start snapping your decoys to the line. Use decoys to match the birds you most frequently see. Nutt'n to it. :beer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting