Duck Retrieval

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Duck Retrieval

Postby cwonder duck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello all,
i take a couple week trip each your to saskatchewan for ducks and geese. A consistant problem for me and my group is retrieving ducks we shoot over and around water. We do not have a dog and putting together a boat and motor 2200 miles from home is difficult and unreliable. We currently have a couple fishing poles rigged with large treble hooks and some floats that give us about a 25 - 30 yards range for retieving the ducks. Believe me, we have had fun laughing at ourselves doing this. Funny picture to shoot the duck and then reel it in.
Does anyone have any ideas for retrieval that would be more reliable than casting?

Good luck all.
cwonder duck
hunter

Re: Duck Retrieval

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Float tube or dog.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 pm

It is called a dog! Try a floating plug with oversize trebles. This keeps the hooks on the surface and let's you hook them more easily. That or a small inflatable raft you can paddle out to the ducks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 am

the problem with a fishing pole rig is retrieving a bird that lands past your casting distance or is wounded and goes even further. Obviously a dog is the best tool but like Norm mentioned a float tube is a very good alternative and is easy to transport.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Pool your funds and get a lightweight kayak. You should be able to find one on craigslist for under $300. Most are light enough that two guys can carry it without any problem. If you have more than two guy you can even rotate on longer hauls. I have an aquapod (10ft) and it only weighs 65 lbs. We have carried it over 500 yards without breaking a sweat. Just make sure it has bow and stern handles... Or buy them and install them yourself.

Most kayaks (with a kayak paddle) are fast enough to chase down cripples. Or at least get you in range for a follow up swat. I don't think a float tube would be much help in that arena.... But it would be easier to pack in.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting