New to Open water hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

New to Open water hunting

Postby pinfeathers12 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

There may have been a lot of posts like this in the past, so forgive me if I am being repetitive. I am going to give open water hunting a try this year, but am limited to a 14 ft v hull boat and no layout boat. I will eventually invest in one, but right now I can't afford it, because of an upcoming surgery for my a-fib. The boat is painted camo right now with a small white outboard. I was going to paint the boat and motor gray before the season, but does anybody have any advice for me? Can it be done without a layout boat? Thank you
pinfeathers12
hunter

Re: New to Open water hunting

Postby m.teeter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Will you be targeting divers or seaducks? Where I hunt shooting from a standard boat in open water works pretty well on seaducks in the early parts of the season. But the divers (bluebills etc) seem to steer clear of the boat.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby pinfeathers12 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I will be targeting divers. It's mostly bluebills and buffleheads where I am, but there is the occasional oldsquaw.
pinfeathers12
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm not sure I guess it could be different in other places. Where I'm at I'm not saying you absolutely cannot shoot divers from the open boat but they are a good bit harder than seaducks to take from an open boat. Maybe look into something like a scissor rig. I've personally never used one and they do look a bit troublesome at first but I hear they are deadly.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm

From the boat should be just fine. I have harvested Bluebill, Buffie, GE, and Ringers from an open boat with no blind on it at all. Will a blind make you more successful? Probably. But layout boats are luxury.... Not a necessity. And if your boat is already Cammo... I wouldn't bother painting it grey. It is going to stick out no matter what. The most important thing for you is going to be making a focal point in the decoy spread and making sure your boat isn't that point. Set your deeks so that the focal point is up wind of the landing zone, and set your boat with a crossing shot with the sun at your back if you can. This will be the best thing you can do with your set up. And FYI, a dog is 100 times easier than pulling the anchors everytime you down a bird. But if a Dog is not an option, you can use Figure 9 biners on the boat and attach buoys or milk cartons to the end of the anchor line and just leave the anchors in place when you go fetch a bird.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting