Layout ???

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Layout ???

Postby Bigfish713 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 am

I just finished building my 1st layout boat as was looking for a little help on where to go in nw ohio area on erie where to launch at and what directions to head any help would be great. I have never layout hunted befor need all the help i can get.
Bigfish713
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Bigfish look up ISHOOTDIVERS on here he lives out your way. That guy lives, breaths, sleeps and eats layout hunting on the big pond. :salude:

BTW :welcome: to DHC glad to have you on board
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks Don :salude:
Big where exactly are you located?Also not trying to scare you away or anything but just jumping in feet first to layout gunning and having never been is a little balsy.It's a hole different world out there and things can turn sour fast.I have no idea of you experience on the pond or anything but don't be fooled it can be pretty dangerous.There are a ton of places to launch and to hunt.I'll tell you straight out I am not going to give you directions to a spot to setup a layout rig because we have enough people out here down winding others, trying to run birds, yadda yadda.We have a few spots we shoot that are pretty well known and obvious, then we have a few that are a little out there so to speak.Best advice to you, hook up with someone who is an experienced layout gunner and get them to take you out a few times, then go from there.
By the way Don I found me a couple broadies (yeah I call em bills but I know you aren't aloud to say that word!)Along with 5 scoters in the boat already this year, rare around here, I only have 4 to my credit in the last 3 years here on home waters.As far as the bird numbers go, we have none around here and I have no idea why anyone wants to hunt here.look closely, you might see a pinnie.So far 7 species fallen from the layout on the year
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:45 pm

Bigfish - ISD is right about getting experience on big water before attempting it with the layout. Layout hunting is fun but you have to be safe. Have you been out on Erie before? Do you have a seaworthy tender? If not, then I'd definitely try to find someone with experience to take you out. Or you could try the boat out on some of the smaller lakes or bays first. Good luck!

ISD - That's awesome that you've gotten into some divers already. I've never seen too many divers when I've hunted for them early in the season. But then again, for reasons mentioned above, I've never hunted on our big pond (Ontario). By the way, how did you do with those cedar logs you were going to cut?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:04 pm

Whistler the cedar logs are uh :umm: .................Yeah still sitting there, I have been so buissy with piling up work, took over a buddies business for the rest of the year, early season hunting, now duck season yadda yadda just never got around to them.I'll tell you this much as early as the birds started to show I am quite suprised.Our limits of bills have been coming in no time flat, usually taking 2 or 3 sits each just waiting for otehr birds to come in, the fun thing with that is no plumage makes for tuff bird IDing, but like hunters should we don't shoot unless we are sure of our target.(Yes that was intentionally put in there for some of you on this website)I'll just say this, we have enough birds around to stay occupied for the moment if you know where to go and how to hunt em :yes: Do to my Lousiana trip this year I had to cancel my Ontario trip :thumbsdown: I have no idea what is going on in my mind but trading a diver trip for a puddler trip yeah I guess it's because I am still after that bull sprig worthy of the wall that has been eluding me for oh so long

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Bigfish713 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:03 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS
I am from the Toledo Area lived here my whole life been on Erie alot fishing but never hunting. With that being said I know our tenders are on the small side I have a 14' jon with around 22" side walls and a 16' v bottom boat that one of my hunting buddies has. also another buddy has a 27' baja fishing boat. with the Aluminum boats I would stick to calm days until I get a better tender. Not sure if anyone uses big fishing boats as a tender or not.
The reason built a layout boat my buddy with the baja has land on lake huron at the tip of the thumb where we lay on exposed reefs and do great but the reefs are not always exposed and the water is only 2 - 4' deep so if things did go south fast we a an fast way to shore. but i would like to get into hunting Erie I am getting sice of hunting the marshes with all the skybusting yahoos that dont have any respect for anyone else.

I want to learn alot befor I get into this I would also like to go with some one who has been doing this for a while to learn in person not just reading about it
Bigfish713
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:05 pm

I know what you mean about finding the time to work on decoys. I just finished burlapping the ninth foamer out of a dozen I started on back in the spring. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some of those divers to show up here.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Big we have layout shot using a 15' jon up to a 22' Hydra Sport :yes: The normal rigs are 1677cc with 50hp motors, we hunt some nasty stuff and don't have any problems.It is all about respect the lake and knowing your limits and what you are doing.I would suggest staying away from the jon for any layout hunting, especially that small.We have done it when things freeze up and yadda yadda.If you have been fishing on Erie then you should know where you can put a boat in and if you spend enough time out there you'll know where you need to layout shoot.Put sometime in, get on the water, scout scout scout

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 pm

ISD, you got to love that layout hunting on the big pond. I was done and heading home by 8:30, a nice mix bag of Buffs Broadies a Ringbill and a GWT
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Nice bag 870. I'm getting antsy to get the boat out. While we're on the subject, I have been considering taking my layout out on Lake Ontario on a calm day. We've been inside Little Sodus Bay on such days and the Lake appeared pretty flat. I'm just concerned about if the wind were to pick up. My tender is a 15' 6" v-hull with a 50 horse and a 6 hp kicker. It's 5' 6" wide at the stern and has 22" sides (from the chines up). Before I bought the layout, it was used on the Great South Bay. We've hunted out of it on Cayuga Lake in two foot waves and had to tow it through four footers. Do you think we'd be OK if we went out on the lake and stuck close to the inlet?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:19 pm

WW, What kind and style of layout do you have? The one here is home made it was an old sunfish I have all the pics over on hunt101 if your interested. Personally I wouldn’t think twice about it, that’s if you have a fair amount of experience on other Lakes. Let me warn you first, things change fast out there. I live by the weather channel; the wind is the big thing. If your layout can handle the waves have fun man, safety first :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:30 pm

The both of you make me sick, and you know who Im talking about. You both know I am sitting here wiping my tears with feathers awaiting opening day yet you still post those pics. I hate you guys. :laughing: :toofunny:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:18 pm

870 - Thanks for the input. The boat is a homemade wood and fiberglass. I thought about making one with a sunfish, but when I asked a friend about how to do it, he offered to sell me this boat. We've been hunting Cayuga Lake and the other lakes around the area for several years now. We started with canoes, then a rowboat with the 6 hp, and then the rig I have now. We often had the wind shift on us so now I obsess about the weather report before I go out. Our walkie talkies even give the marine forecast. If we get the right conditions this year, I might have to try going out the inlet onto the big pond.

Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:28 pm

By the way, what type of decoy spread (numbers, species) would you use for layout hunting early in the season?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 am

Sweeeet looking rig WW, that rig will do just fine. Better yet why don't you let me use it for,,,,, I don't know maybe a week or two and I'll let you know if it going to work for ya. :toofunny:

It looks strangely familair :cool: Image

As far as decoys go, that depends on what I'm guuning for Broadies most of the time no less that 6doz up to 10 doz because that is pretty much all I have of them. My rigs made up of Broadies, Cans, and Ringbills.

Whistlers and Buffs no less than a 1doz to 3doz, alot depends on the day and place I'm hunting

Now yesterdays hunt I only took 2doz it did the trick :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Sure you can use the boat, if I can come along too! :smile: 1 to 3 dozen, no kidding. I've been putting out 65 to 70 dekes (broadies, redhead, cans, whistlers, and buffs) every time because I thought we needed a larger spread. I'll have to try the smaller spread sometime in one of those spots where we see mostly buffs or whistlers. I was thinking of throwing out a couple blacks with the whistlers or buffs because I often see them hanging out alongside each other.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Whistler I have buddies who layout shoot over nothing but puddle dekes and they kill divers & puddlers and a lot of puddlers at that.We run mostly all divers but this year threw in a few blacks and mallards.I've layout shot over as little as 2 dozen to as large as just over 10 dozen or so, our usual everyday rig is only about 60-70 dekes, mostly redheads, cans, bills, yadda yadda, later in the year I'll throw in all the goldie dekes.

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Hey smack,You don’t need to use feathers to wipe away your tears here some tissues. This is a combo of last nights and this morning’s hunt. check in on the NY forum on this morning hunt, only me man.

WW, a lot of the time I like to target just one species. I have places where the Whistlers love to hang out; then I’ll take just Whistler decoys. I have places where you have a mix of Whistlers/Buffs so I’ll take both along.

This week I went for Broadies and Ringbills, but the Buffs are fresh on the Lake and haven’t settle in to where their suppose to be, heck if they decoy they die.
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:12 pm

You make me sick, but thats ok yours will be over soon and mine will only be beginning. The opener is the eleventh so it is real soon. Now we just need you to let loose of the birds. I went out yesterday to check on things and was not too impressed. :oops:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 870 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:57 pm

smackaduck wrote:. Now we just need you to let loose of the birds. I went out yesterday to check on things and was not too impressed. :oops:

smack I'd like to let them loose, but as hard as I try I can't get them to fly out of my freezer :toofunny:

Don't worry my friend you will have the last laugh, count on it. :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting