Aqua Pod - Free

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Aqua Pod - Free

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 am

I have been poking around and looking for a deal on a 10 or 12 foot pod for a while now. I was about to bite the bullet and buy a new one when a buddies wife hears me talking with him about the purchase. She says, hey, I have a 10 footer hanging on the back of the shop that I haven't used in 20 years. You can use it. She won't sell it to me, and I can't paint it. So I now have a free light blue 10 foot pod to use as long as I like.

I gave the pod a good once over. I will be doing a bit of work to strengthen the external joint where the two halves meet. I plan to used fiberglass resin where there are some minor cracks in the original joint seal and to fill in a few missing joint areas before putting it in the water. I have enough OD Green Cordura and some plastic garden mesh so I can make up open water and brush covers for the pod that will hide the light blue color for hunting.

From my point of view this is a huge score. I have all the stuff I need to make it huntable at the house. Jan even loaned me the dolly cart she recently bought. She laughed and said she is not sure why she bought it since she will probably never take the pod out. I figure a year or two into the pod sitting at my place she may just let me buy it. If not, I have free use of it for a year or two anyway. The best part is that the pod is very old and still in great shape. I believe she bought it for $225 when she was in college a bunch of years ago. Which means that eventually I should be able to get it for a good price.

I plan to add two cleats to the pod for front and rear anchoring along with two removable rope carry handles. I chatted with Jan about the additions. She agreed they would be nice to have. I am planning to sand it down a bit and repaint it light blue which she agreed to. Jan was dead set against OD Green or Camo. I always try to return borrowed items better than they were when I got them.

I already figured out how I can get Bella and I in the pod without having to shoot over her. I am still looking around for an 8 foot pod or another small craft that is just big enough I can put Bella in it next to me since this pod is rather tight with the two of us. We will see what I come up with before season comes.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Aqua Pod - Free

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the idea. I will look into one