Diver Hunting out of a boat!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver Hunting out of a boat!

Postby OneLunG » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:29 pm

So, I'm going to be using my 16' seark to diver hunt - Currently it has no blind in it. I planned on just ducking down in it and sitting on the floor. Will this work? Or do I need to actually make a blind, or buy one?

Also - Me and my buddy had an idea. He can get a hold of this 8' long sheets of plexi-glass mirrors. We thought about hanging them off the side of the boat so as to reflect the water - Disgusing the boat. Would this work?
OneLunG
hunter

Re: Diver Hunting out of a boat!

Postby mattman48732 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:47 am

I have hunted from a boat for 40 years and have made several 'blinds' for my boat. Some blinds consisted of duck weed panels that were secured to the side off the boat via rails. I have migrated to using burlap thrown over wood rails that are secured to the side of the boat via bolts through the side wall. I have also been lazy and not put the side rails on and just draped the burlap over me in the boat. All the different 'blinds' worked well - the divers (as dumb as they are) came right into the decoys.

One thing to keep in mind - if they are dumb enough to come into the decoys while you are throwing the decoys out, then they sure don't mind what type of blind you are using.
mattman48732
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:23 pm

I like the mirror idea, it will also make the spread look bigger
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 am

Been out in other boats with no blinds what so ever, works fine, just don't move alot while they are coming in.
Also shoot off of big fishing boats 25'+ with no camo at all while fishing. Still get our share of birds.

I do have a canvas blind on my boat so we can move around with only our heads sticking out.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:04 pm

I hunt sitting in the bottom of a 14" aluminum V hull painted duck green. have done pretty good so far this year, but it's early and their not too wary.

When it's windy, wet and cold, which I bet in AK it may get this way, some sort of cover other then low in the boat is nice.

I'd like to set up low profile sides for burlap or something on my boat and may get to it one of these years. The wood rails matman was talking about sound like it would be easy enough, may try that.

The mirrors are a different idea, watch out for wind and be careful. I hunt salt water and it's tough to make it to shore if you flip.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Re: Diver Hunting out of a boat!

Postby mattman48732 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:02 am

Another word of caution: If you affix anything that is not readily removable from the sides of your boat, then make darn sure you have enough hoespower to overcome the wind. You will find yourself in one big world of hurt. Your sides will become sails and your undersize motor will not be able to steer the boat.
mattman48732
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:05 am

Well, the idea with the mirros was to hang them over the side, so they drape in the water, and so they dont go over the top edge of the boat - Like hanging them by rope so you can pull them up and in real quick.
OneLunG
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:21 pm

Mirrors sound intresting only problem I can see is maybe a bad glar if any sunlight hits it.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Yeah - that was the only problem I saw as well..
OneLunG
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting