Decoy setup for Long Tailed Duck (Old Squaw)

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Decoy setup for Long Tailed Duck (Old Squaw)

Postby MattKenzer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58 pm

When you set your Long Tail decoys out, do you run them straight on long lines like you would eiders or do you group them up?....Thanks

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:43 pm

I don't know much about decoying those Old Squaws, but I've killed quite a few, and got to witness them first hand as to how they behave on open water. They tend to be in small pods, sort of bunched up. I think long-lines are typically used to help keep your decoys from getting tangled due to the tide.

Forum & State Moderator

Postby IrishEyes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:34 pm

We shoot old squaw in LI sound in about 30 feet of water. I have just a dozen oldsquaw decoys and put them in two trawls of 6 birds each. I keep them on the "other" side of the scoter decoys.
The old squaw will decoy to their own decoys eveery time. I have one hen with a long line attached, this line has 5 small loops about every 10-12 feet apart. I anchor the boat where I will shoot after the scoter rig is out. I add a decoy to each small loop- each line decoy has a short line(about a foot long) with a snap on the end. I snap a decoy onto each loop and let the whole thing float away in the current. Then I atttach a sash weight with about 50 feet of line to the first decoy and when the whole thing is streaming out back I toss the sash weight as far as I can back and to the side. I repeat with the second string and throw it back as far but not as far over.
The decoys are in a row but the short count,only 6 per line, doesn't seem to bother the birds.

I moved to NC this year and haven"t gone out yet. I don't know how much trouble I will have rigging out in the Neuse river without a current but time will tell. I rig the scoter differently , with sash weights on both ends of a long line but thats another story. I don't know if you can buy old squaw decoys anymore but they work fine although they are about 30 years old now.

long tails

Postby baggedout » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:50 am

When I do sets for Long Tails ....I set decoys exactly like I do For Eiders and Coots....I use long lines with about 12 to 18 birds per line.... I put out about 3 dozen....Remember don't use even a bunch together then leave a space and then throw in a couple and so on.....

Postby Lundman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:36 am

I agree with baggedout. If you have a limited number of decoys, set a few on long lines and then throw a few singles to fill in the holes or to break up the spread.
"Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky"

Postby Major Woods » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:31 am

OS deeks on long lines.
I also throw a string or two of buffies in there also, they don't seem to mind.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods

Postby MattKenzer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:26 am

Thank you for sharing your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Return to Diver Duck Hunting