Layout Boat Ammunition

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Layout Boat Ammunition

Postby Gibber » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:36 pm

I am wondering what shells some of you are using for layout hunting. I will be hunting big water for all divers (with the exception of sea ducks).

I have been told that Kent #3 1-1/8oz 1560 is one of the better choices.

I understand that everyone's choices will most likely be made on the results of patterning your gun... and personal preferance. I'm just curious as to what some of your choices are.

I know that this possibly should be posted under the reloading form... but I feel it is specific to layout hunters.

I like Kent :thumbsup: , I used them last year and have no complaints... some of my friends are on the Winchester Xpert train and can't see why I would want to pay roughly 118.00 / case when they can buy the Xperts for 90.00 / case (shipping is included in both #'s)

It is hard for me to swallow while I am ready to order 3 cases of Kent... knowing that I could purchase 4 cases of Xpert's for $6 more.

I shoot a Beretta AL-391 12 Gauge (3" loads)

Thanks
Cut em' up
Gibber
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 am

I currently use both types your writing about, it's odd I didn't remember which was more expensive but I was leaning towards liking the Kent better.

Problem is this is no scientific study, just a couple one shot kills can really goof of the statistics.

I use #3 also, and like them. I am going out this AM, it is 20-25 knot winds in the salt water bay I'm going to, and raining. We'll find a lee and will probably shoot alot of shells. Wind blows steel all over the place.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:50 am

For the layout gunning it's Kent 3" 2's and BB going at least 1550fps, for me it seems shooting the bigger shot sizes I get a lot less cripples and they pattern well.A few of my buddies shoot #4's, I hate them.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:10 pm

I shoot the Winchester supreme and Kent’s and my son shoots just Kent’s they both do the job. Like ISD we shoot 3” #2s a lot less cripples when I do have a cripple my third shot is a Kent BB. I went with Kent because they were $10.00 a box at Gander Mountain :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting