Bluebills and Hunting on the Mississippi

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bluebills and Hunting on the Mississippi

Postby Stumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 am

I was hunting on the Mississippi this past weekend. I have Mallard, and Goose decoys for Hunting. I saw a large number of Bluebills flying up and down the river. Is there a way where I can have my Mallard, and Goose decoys along with Bluebill decoys to get Bluebills to come in? I heard somewhere that you can't mix divers and puddler decoys together. Is there a way to set it up where I have the Mallards next to the shore with the geese and Bluebills out on the side to bring them in? This is my first year hunting on the Mississippi. I live in MN and hunt on the northwest portion of the Twin Cities on the mighty Miss if that makes any difference.

I am looking for a general layout to bring in some Bluebills

Thanks for any advice,

Stumpy
Stumpy
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:54 pm

make your U shape puddler on one side and divers on the other

_ .
U
if you figure wind from left to right make your U shape with divers on the left and puddler on the right then put your goose decoys where the period is and a leading line of diver dekes where the line dealy is if you need better directions pm me but i use this a ton and its a killer
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Thanks

Postby Stumpy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:01 am

I understand what you are saying. Thanks a lot! That is a great discription!

Happy Hunting!
Stumpy
hunter

Postby pmahler » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:07 am

or you can just put a string of bills right in the middle of your spread (mallards to your left & right, landing zone through the middle but have the string of bills set farther out, they like to land up front of the line...at least in my dealings they have
pmahler
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting