Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting divers without a boat?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AK Ducks 
#1 ·
Is it possible to do? I've been thinking about hunting a point near my place that always holds a few, but will they flare from it?

G
#2 ·
First off you'll need a dog for the long retrieves, unless you're comfortable taking a boat out after every volley. Yes, you can do it without a boat, but keep in mind the birds are comfortable with water...and don't fly over land unless they have to. Keep the decoys 20 yards from shore and use the wind to your advantage.

#3 ·
I have killed a pile and I mean a big pile of divers in small bodies of water without the use of a boat. Primarily ringnecks and bluebills with the smattering of redheads and cans. I do however admit that most of my diver holes are private and so the birds don't see alot of pressure to avoid points or other types of cover. I hunt in the Florida panhandle and have witnessed birds avoiding anything that could possibly hide a hunter on public areas a few days after season comes in. :)

#5 ·
Eiders! Yes, I hunt eiders on foot. I have found a unique spot that allows me to walk in and hunt very successfully. I need to do it on a low tide or just starting to rise and right at first light. I wade out to thigh deep water from a sandbar - no decoys - and they come streaming in from the open ocean to feed on the mussel beds. With the tide rising and typical winds, the downed birds are beached for me. In the last three years I have lost only one bird. Yes, the shots are close and I have to pick the best chance for a clean kill.

Keep a low profile and remain motionless!

#6 ·
if you hunt from shore (I only hunt from shore) you will need some sort of boat to go get what you shoot and for chaseing down cripples. oh yah my group shot down 24 last saterday 1 black scoter 2 golden eyes and 21 surf scoters :thumbsup: we did loose a couple others to eagles( they were hungery that morning)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.