mallard deks for divers

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

mallard deks for divers

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:47 pm

okay i know this topic has come up already but too lazy to read through the posts. to all the diver hunters can i use all drake mallard decoys and be able to pull off a diver hunt. cant spend anymore money on deks so should i consider hunting puddlers or will this work. dont worry i know the basic to diver hunting, no layout boating, so i should be good right.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY[/u]
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:16 pm

i have had some divers land in with the mallards. What i did when i was short on diver decoys i got some old decoys and painted the sides white and the front white and they worked great for goldeneyes!!
CHEERS
Did Ya Git Yur Buck EEERRRR Wha??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:13 pm

yeh anything is worth a try. its either gonna work or its not and either way your gonna learn alot.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:47 am

i had a group of buffleheads swing into a pattern of amllards and black ducks this weekend. Of course, I missed the shot b/ I was taking a dump at the time. :mrgreen:
dirtyj
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:00 am

for consistant diver hunting, you need diver decoys. Yes divers will happen to a puddler rig, but either purchase, or take some old decoys and paint them up as divers.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Re: mallard deks for divers

Postby jpm49878 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 am

YES YOU CEERTAINLY CAN. I DONT HAVE A SINGLE DIVER DECOY IN MY SPREAD AND I HAVE SHOT ALMOST ALL DIVING DUCKS. IT DOES WORK SO REST ASSURED MY FRIEND. :salude:

duckbuddy wrote:okay i know this topic has come up already but too lazy to read through the posts. to all the diver hunters can i use all drake mallard decoys and be able to pull off a diver hunt. cant spend anymore money on deks so should i consider hunting puddlers or will this work. dont worry i know the basic to diver hunting, no layout boating, so i should be good right.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY[/u]
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Grouse » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:39 am

Yes they will decoy to mallards, buffelheads with out hesitation and lost or seperated bluebills have as well :thumbsup:
Grouse
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 am

I have shot many many bluebills over mallard dekes (especially lots of hen decoys). They aren't as visible from afar as the black & white, but bills aren't the brightest bulbs in the lamp either.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Use some of your old mallard dekes and repaint them. I used Flambeau mallard dekes, $19.00 a dozen at Walley World, and repainted them with Krylon Fusion paints, made for plastic. I then went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a can of dull clear coat. They came out looking fine and I use them all the time.
:salude:
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=303443&c=525&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 pm

Not bad at all, hunt :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:53 pm

huntmq1 nice lookin deeks for just repainting them. I want to do something similar to a couple doz. of my mallards.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby joemama » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:40 pm

My bro and I switched 3 dozen Hot Buy mallards into 3 dozen Hot Buy blue bills. Krylon fusion paint....works great. They worked out great for us, and with just about 1 hour into painting them, its WAY cheaper than buying blue bill dekes!!! We are planning on stocking up on the "clearance" decoys here in WI!!!

I will attempt to post pictures when I get home!
joemama
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting