Diver/Long line spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver/Long line spreads

Postby joemama » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:33 pm

My brother and I were out on the Bay of Green Bay this past week, and learned a HARD lesson....picking up 4 dozen individual dekes SUCKS!!! We used the standard J hook, but really didnt do all that well. We saw some other's spreads, and they were using long lines. My question is this how do you set up spreads with long lines. The guys that we saw were setting their rigs like this....

D--D--D--D--D

D--D--D--D--D <wind

D--D--D--D--D

BOAT

Shouldnt have been like this

B D--D--D--D--D
O
A D--D--D--D--D >wind
T
D--D--D--D--D

Is there any other ways to set out long line spreads? We have all the stuff to rig up the long lines, but we just dont know how to set out the spreads. We are hunting mostly Bluebills, but there are Goldeneyes, Redheads, Canvasback, Old Squaw, Buffleheads, and the rumored Scoters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
joemama
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:55 am

Scoters

d d d d d d d d d d d d I

d d d d d d d d d d I

d d d d d I

d d d d d I

d d d d d d d d d d I

d d d d d d d d d d d d I
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:03 am

Divers

d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

d d d d d d d d d d

d d d d

d d d d d

d d d d d d d d d
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:18 am

I leave all the decoys attatched to the lines, I have a system where they just hand along the inside of my boat. I use one main anchor line for the scoters and one for the divers. It is anchored at both ends and Iuse one decoy as a float so that it dosent sink while I am attatching the lines. The anchor line has loops in it so that the set goes out the same evry time i know where each line goes on the anchor due to the number of ducks on it and they should go out in the order they are put on the boat. I just un clip them away from the anchor get them inthe water and pulled straight then motor to the anchor and clip them on then just repeat till they are all out. the single anchor rope is positioned so the wind keeps the long lines straight of the anchor just as pictuerd above. I find it alot easier that way cause evrything always goes out the same you dont have to adjust it on the water just clip and go but it takes some getting use to putting out.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

long line set

Postby IrishEyes » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Bear with me , this may get a little complicated but it works easy.
Iput out 3 strings of seaducks, 12 birds on each string.

First thing is I anchor the boat and let it settle to the wind and tide. I used to shoot Peconic Bay and Long Island Sound in NY. Sitting in the boat facing aft, you want the decoys toward your left side....if you shoot righty. I use a n anchor I can slip when I retrieve ducks so I get back to the same spot. Just bouy the anchor line.....make sure you have a back-up anchor system in case of engine failure.

I have 6 sash weights with @ 40 feeet of line on each with a large metal snap on the end. I also have 3 special decoys with a long line wound around their body, 120 feet long with a small loop tied in every 10 feet. I grab the end of one line and start to snap decoys on each loop working forward until I have 12 decoys strung out behind the boat. The 33 line decoys have a short one foot lead with a snap that fits in the loops.

When they are trailing back I attach a line from a sash weight and unfurl the line, then I throw it as far to my left as I can.

The second string goes out the same way but I throw the sash weight not as far over and behind the first string. The third goes out and the weight is thrown closer to the boat and further back again.

D D D D D D D D D D D D

D D D D D D D D D D D D

D D D D D D D D D D D D

BOAT

Now I pick up the anchor and drive around to pick up the last decoy on the first string. I attach a sash weight line and pull the decoys out so they are anchored fore and aft with the long line perpindicular to the tide/wind. I repeat with the other two lines. Then I reanchor the boat so it sits within shooting distance of the landing area in front of the spread.

D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D
D D D

BOAT

When you drive around the rig it really looks natural. No more birds flairing as soon as they get right behind the decoys and see them all lined up like indians. I would put two six bird strings of old squaw off the other side of the boat. The six bird string did not seem to flair the birds like the longer string.

We would shoot in up to 30 feet of water and individual strings were out of the question. Shooting broadbills in shallower water we always used individual lines and a j hook spread with a real long tail........last 7-8 birds were maybe 50 feet apart or more.
IrishEyes
hunter

Computer screwed up the spread.....

Postby IrishEyes » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:39 pm

I just spent 10 minutes typing out the layout and it was changed by the computer to the straight line. Well they are not in a straight line but in the shape of a big backwards C.
I'll try it again

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

D D D

BOAT

I hope this works out better, but the deks are not in a straight line.
IrishEyes
hunter

Damn computer.I give up

Postby IrishEyes » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:41 pm

I give up..sorry
IrishEyes
hunter

Wait I think I figured it out

Postby IrishEyes » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Just ignore the dots..............

.....................d d d

...........................d d d

..................................d d d

........................................d d d

..............................................d d d

....................................................d d d

.....................................................d d d

................................................d d d

............................................d d d

.......................................d d d

.................................d d d

.............................d d d

BOAT

That should do it. Nothing is fool proof, they keep making smarter fools
IrishEyes
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Hey Irish youarent to far from me I live near washington.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:18 am

Along with the normal straight line set up.
I use a "T" formation as long as the tide or winds are light. This breaks up the line formation look from the birds prespective.

D
D
D DDDDDDDDDDDD
D
D DDDDDDDDDDDD <----Wind
D
D DDDDDDDDDDDD
D
D
D Boat here
D
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:13 am

Another idea is to use the layouts above AND have 1 LONG gang line that runs way out. I put this perpendicular to the flight path (angled into the wind) of the birds, on the downwind part of the main spread and have the nearest deke in the line join up with the main spread near the boat. We do like this in the Pamlico River:

...........DDDDDDDDD

...........DDDDDDDDD......................wind V

...........DDDDDDDDD

...........DDDDDDDD

............DDDDDDD

.B.........DDDDDD
.O...................................................................DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
.A.........DDDDDD.....................................DDDD
.T...................................................DDDD
............DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

.............DDDDDDD

.............DDDDDDDDD

.............DDDDDDDDD

.............DDDDDDDDD
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting