calling divers

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

calling divers

Postby Rooke » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 am

i hunt divers in michigan. what call works the best on bills, cans, redheads, buffies, and goldeneyes? i have heard of using a whistle. i have also heard that not calling at all is best. any tips would be great.
Rooke
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 am

IMHO redheads are the easiest of all ducks to decoy, i always get them feet down givin them susie quacks
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Rooke » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:38 am

went out sat. on saginaw bay, michigan. me and my younger bro shot 9. saw mostly buffies and goldeneyes. i tried the susie quack and it worked great.

thanks for the tip :thumbsup:
Rooke
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:46 am

Big River makes a diver call that works pretty well. It barks like a bluebill or canvasback. Or, you can use a raspy mallard call and either flutter your tongue really fast (faster than the ticka-ticka of a feed call) or grunt into it to make it bark.

I'm not 100% sure they really respond to it as much as I'd like to think they do, but some noise doesn't hurt to try to get their attention...especially when they are several yards beyond my gang line.
apexhunter
hunter

Just yell at Oldsquaw

Postby IrishEyes » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:01 am

We just use our voice to mimic the calls of the oldsquaw.
IrishEyes
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting