Dealing with fast tides

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Dealing with fast tides

Postby Murph » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 am

In hunting the eastern shore there can be some serious tidal swings, if the one end of the decoy line is anchored down how do you keep the first decoy from getting swamped when the current gets ripping along? Do you just avoid the major tidal swings or is there something I am not getting? Thanks!
Murph
hunter

Postby MattKenzer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi Murph...I hunt seaducks in the Bay of Fundy with 20 ft tide changes which can and will create a lot of current...When I set my Eider rig on Longlines I anchor both ends (not one)...I also use a lot of scope on my anchors which allows the first decoy to sit true in the water (more scope equals less drag)...Do Not pull the anchor tight before dropping...allow some swing in the rig...I hope this helps.
MattKenzer
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 pm

Matt hits the nail on the head Murph....just be sure to have a good length of line out to the anchor...........one way I do this is to have a 50 foot mother decoy line (with clip on the end) and I use a seperate 50 foot anchor line with a loop on the top end. I do not anchor both ends in most situations, rather, I let the decoy line swing wih the wind and/or current....have never had any problems. I do anchor stern and bow of the boat so I adjust my boat according to the decoys. To me, that is easier in the long run.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:05 pm

its all about scope, I'd probably use super mag dekes on the ends of the longlines too
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Phil Eager » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:30 am

I also use the motherline system I'm going to keep a couple crab floats on board this year with a 1"lead. I will clip the float to the mainline before the lead decoy to keep the decoys from getting pulled down. I know it's all about scope but this will work in a pinch
Phil Eager
hunter

Postby MattKenzer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:34 am

Good Point Phil.....I have used painted lobster floats (1/2 black & 1/2 white) at the start of my rig for eiders....I only need them when the birds are feeding between two ledges which will create a ton of current.
MattKenzer
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting