goldeneye tips

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

goldeneye tips

Postby nbduckhunter » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:06 am

im just looking for any tips on huntin goldens anything will do thanks guys
nbduckhunter
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 am

Use goldeneye decoys, it doesn't have to be a lot. I started out with a half dozen GE's. If your spread contains other species, set the GE dekes off to the side in their own group. Of course, you'll want to set up in a spot where you've seen birds. But if you can't, try to find a point that juts out into the water.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby nbduckhunter » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:30 am

thats man
keep em coming
oh and we have 18 decoys to work with so far
nbduckhunter
hunter

Postby diving_duck » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:13 pm

I hope this helps also click on the link for more info on this and other spreads.

http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Decoys/120 ... Ducks.html

Peace
diving_duck
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:28 pm

That's kind of how we've done it. That little group of seven decoys right in front of the blind is where we put the goldeneye. The rest of our hook is made up of broadbill and redhead.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Goldeneye Tips

Postby woodie » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:29 am

Gey Guys,, i,ve hunted WHISTERS on Lake Ontario since I was 16 ,,I'm 56 now,, I live in Ontario,,Canada,,,WHISTLERS arrive in these parts
Mid November till Seasons end,,They actualy arrive by the thousands in JANUARY ( Season is OVER) ( dam),,We hunt off the same POINT that we did as teenagers,,We set up WHISTLERS,,We put out 12 DECOYS on one side of the BLIND,Then we put out another 12 DECOYS on the other side,,
Leaving a landing spot right in the middle of the blind,,It worked 40 yrs ago and works today,, Keep Decoys close,,,( 25 yds )

Canadian
Duck Hunting,,It's a Passion,,
woodie
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:49 pm

I have a little tid bit that works for us, and even convinces the skeptics. When you have a few high-flying Goldeneye come over out of range, whistle at them with your mouth using the same version that they use (te-te-te-te-te-te-te-te), and they will (at times) turn right around and try to pick up that straggler that is left behind, allowing some easy shots (I use the term "easy" very loosely).

I'm with you on this one Woodie, We see the Goldeneye thick, when all the ice comes. That's when they hit the shallowest part of the river and eat to their little hearts content. They sure do land clumsily when they fly back up river to make their dive for food again.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I have to go along with woodie. I’ve been using that same kind of spread long before lead was outlawed. Mine look like a teardrop, with the thin end down wind. The thing with Whistlers is when they’re decoying their decoying and when they’re not their not.

Today I thought I had the point to hunt. The wind was cranking the waves were rolling and the Whistlers were flying. Like woodie I’ve hunted this same point for years and I had to settle for them buzzing my spread. I had a great hunt, but they weren’t going to land.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting