net rig vs long lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

net rig vs long lines

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:13 pm

I have hunted over a net rig once with good results but I have also had good results with long lines. I am building a new spread this yr with about 150 blocks. Im torn between longlines or a net rig
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: net rig vs long lines

Postby m.teeter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Maybe try a small net and a couple lines. I've never used a net personally but would love to try it. Looks like it would work well if I knew how to correctly deploy and pick up. Also looks like you could make one hell of a mess with it if done incorrectly.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby LayedOut » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 pm

m.teeter wrote:Maybe try a small net and a couple lines. I've never used a net personally but would love to try it. Looks like it would work well if I knew how to correctly deploy and pick up. Also looks like you could make one hell of a mess with it if done incorrectly.

I'm with you. We've talked about doing a net but never have. I'd like to find a net and try it this year.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:04 pm

My buddy did a net rig with a minnow seine. It works great we had a blue bill land next the net and swim in it for a few minutes it as awesome. Make sure to make the weights detachable as this will make it easier to manage also leave some space the edges so that you can fold it over and the decoys will roll up nicely in it.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 am

The net works great if you place and pull it with two people. Putting it out by yourself is a pain in the butt. They can tangle up really badly if not flaked back into the boat properly. I abandoned the net for all longlines.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am

My .02 cents, which may not be worth much as I've never run a net rig, but have spoken to several guys who have when I lived in NC.

They are awesome, easy to deploy with a couple guys and practice. They look very realistic when comparing to an actual flock of divers resting/feeding.

The main difference that has been explained to me by a couple of different people when comparing long lines to nets comes with water clarity and depth. I don't have first hand knowledge of doing it myself, but dealing with greater depth, the net can be a bit more of a hassle to set appropriately. In clear waters the net is highly visible from the air since it isn't suspended very deep below the decoys. Not an issue for those hunting coastal bays/sounds as the water clarity is poor from what I've witnessed...but for the lakes I hunt in Northern Michigan where you can see down 10-20 feet without issue the long lines disappear a little easier than a net.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby LayedOut » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 pm

How big are the nets u guys use and how many decoys?
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:30 pm

The only one I hunted over was aprox. 15'x15' with around 60 decoys.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:28 am

I've done both. I've seen the net rig deployed by Russell Williams on Ocracoke and it looked great. I've set mine up in 5' of water and had issues with keeping it stretched out. The more you pull on the corners to try tp spread it out, the more the middle comes together. Probably not an issue in shallow water.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah, but why bother with a net in that shallow of water ? Most of my diver hunting is 15 to 20'.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bigbuckilla » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 pm

here's some pix of the spread i ran for the first half of last season. The next rig was really messing up my decoys (all the decoys in the pix are buoy bodys i made) going in and out of the boat. (my buoy bodys were fully flocked, and when they rubbed against eachother they really scuffed them up and wore away the flocking) I could see with plastic decoys how the net rig would really work well.

I ended up cutting off all the decoys and mounting them to wooden frames. two wooden frames in the shape of a capital A with another piece of wood running accoss the bottom the the A . they were much eazyer to handle, they stacked ontop of each other nicely, and required much less effort than putting out the net. and imo.... worked just as well. i had three strings of canvasback running strait to the two frames with singles mixed in to blend it. I sold that rig and am building my new one now (see duck decoy forum, "finished 3 mallard gunners tonight")

but to help with you question..... I say running longlines is way eazyer than a net rig if your using anything other than hollow plastic decoys. if you use hollow plastic's ... net rig all day.... a diver cant pass up a pile of birds lookin like they are on top of something real good to eat. + add some fake ears of corn and your in biz...
Attachments
zzz6.jpg
zzz4.jpg
zzz3.jpg
zzz2.jpg
zzz1.jpg
bigbuckilla
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting