Surf Scoter

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Surf Scoter

Postby oneshotkill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:02 pm

I have so many surf and white-wing scoter on the beach by my house that it is making me sick I have shot a couple but all I want is some puddle ducks! I could easily get my limit every day But I have no desire. No offence but I do not like sea ducks! I will send them to anyone as long as you send some puddle ducks my way.
oneshotkill
hunter

Puddlers on Seaduck forum

Postby PNW HUNTER » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 pm

I've gotten a few greenheads at the mouth of the Skagit lately, South fork.

One day it's good, then their all gone. We need a some colder weather up north, then a good freeze and some more wind and the ducks will be in. Seems through the years early season is good, then theres a lull in the action then the Northern ducks come in.

As far as Scoters, if you shoot young ones they tast pretty good.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Postby skagit » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:36 am

where are you in Oak Harbor? I will be glad to come shoot them for you!
skagit
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:00 am

I'm in Anacortes and have enough ducks from yesterday thank you. Got 1 hen and one nice drake mallard, two pins, one was a big drake. We're going out in the AM to.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:18 pm

Isn't it a strange world, just last weekend my bud shot a white wing scooter and we all thought of it as somewhat of a prize. It is a handsome bird and he is getting it mounted. We have all kinds of mallards but very few white wing scooters, he wouldn't have traded a limit of greenheads for it. From a distance scooters don't look to cool but in the hand I thought it was beautiful, and it had blue eyes and the bill was the colors of a woodduck and a very peculiar shape to it.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 pm

i think it would be awesome to get some scoters.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby oneshotkill » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:14 am

I live on penn cove. Follow senic heights down to the water and there they are. You have to go to the left of to the right to be safe but I have gotten very close the them on many occasions. I also have a few wighte wing scoter, and the occasional buffulhead.
oneshotkill
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting