Greenhead Gear

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Greenhead Gear

Postby MattKenzer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:37 am

I was told that GHG is working on a complete line of Diver Decoys....I cannot see much from their website but I have purchased Oversized Goldeneyes which I do like.....however, I am not sure if they have other divers being manufactured ie.Eiders, Scoters, Bufflehead, Longtails etc.

Thanks for your help!
MattKenzer
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:56 am

I know they do make some bufflehead decoys :salude:
not sure bout the others though as of now
Did Ya Git Yur Buck EEERRRR Wha??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:57 am

I have seen the ghg Bufflehead but not Long Tails.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 am

goldeneye, buffies, bluebill, canvasback, redhead... not sure about eider or longtail.. but i hope so
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby duckpoop » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:10 pm

The Pittboss posted he was testing some buffies that were foam filled. That would be GREAT!! It's about time someone put that together, now to make them at a decent price?
I just can't afford $150.00 for a diver spread and will be going with Herters at 1 or doz at a time until I get a good spread.
duckpoop
Newb

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:10 pm

I've heard they'll have scoters next year.

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby pitboss » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:15 pm

the 2006 line up...

all above may be available in a "foam filled" version if theres enough interest. they look the same just that they are filled 100% with foam only adding 1/2 pound top each decoy.

thoughts?

jeff
capt. jeff coats
pitboss
hunter

Postby MattKenzer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks for the responses guys....I have to get myself some of the Bufflehead decoys from the pic that pitboss posted....Hopefully there are plains for Eiders, Longtails and Scoters...

Pitboss, what scoter decoy do you use?

Thanks Again!
MattKenzer
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:35 am

I just bought a bunch of diver decoys before they came out with these oversized decoys. I am planning on buying a dozen every year and weeding out my other ones. If they are filled with foam I will buy them in a heart beat!
maddiedog
hunter

Postby duckpoop » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:24 am

I'd been thi9nking of filling my current dekes with foam but didn't know how it would work if the foam wasn't evenly distributed.
I'll buy 5-6 doz in a heartbeat if they come out.
duckpoop
Newb

Postby donell67 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:09 pm

i have only filled the ones that were leakers. i put a half inch hole under the tail. and fill with the good stuff i think its called i think its cheapest at walmart. if you fill it too full most of it comes out the half inch hole. i had a few bulge a little at the bottom of the decoy but not on top. after you do a couple you figure out how much to put in.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MattKenzer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi donell67....I have a few Eider decoys (about 20) that have taken their share of steel BB.....I am planning on filling them with foam as you have stated....I am under the assumption that you are filling them completely?

Thanks,

Darren
MattKenzer
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Guys try this......drill two holes, as this should allow more of the foam to expand, and lessen the chance of the decoy bulging. I would drill it on top of the head, as this is a hi place where water could never enter. Sand down the overflow, seal it if you want, and paint.
Good luck,
Rob.
OBTW: I would drill the other hole....either towards the rear and on top of the tail....not under, but if you seal it...less chance of water entering and making it like a stone.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 pm

yeah or pretty close. just do a couple first to see if they bulge any. if they do a little use a little less. i think you can do 3 standard duck decoys with one tall can of it. 1 can is perfect for a goose decoy. again i dont think it has to be completely full because even if it had some in it it wouldnt sink. but then you have to think how it would ride with only some in it. i like mine full best a little bulge on the bottom of the decoy doesnt bother me. but after i did a couple they were full and didnt bulge.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Phil Eager » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:15 am

I may be selfish but I do not want GHG to come out with old squaw, scoters and eiders. Right now it takes a little effort to be successful out there. GHG will make it way to easy for anyone to join the fray. I like the fact that you can get away from the crowds in the marshs and not worry about anyone skybusttin your birds.
Phil Eager
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:02 am

I'm with you Phil, i havent seen another hunter in 2 weeks, and i have been having a ball.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting