setups

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

setups

Postby Rooke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:39 pm

i was wondering if divers would decoy if you are just in a boat, a mile off shore. we do not have a layout boat just a 12 foot john boat and a blind.
we see mainly buffies, goldeneyes, and bills

it seems they would be afraid of a boat in the middle of the bay
Rooke
hunter

Postby diving_duck » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:12 am

Whats the blind look like??? We set ours to look like a giant rock that works most of the time. If you have a boat with grass and stuff like that and the bay is in the background you might blend in to any birds flying staight in. See the other day while scouting there was an island that we didn't see until we turned a corner we thought 100% that it was the otherside of the bay. It might work the sameway for you.
Peace
diving_duck
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:05 am

My experience in coastal NC: as long as you have some decoys out, they come into any dark clump. I've hunted out of grassed-up boats, a sneak box painted o-drab, and a john boat with a camo tarp wall. They all worked.
Paul26
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:57 pm

i dont have a problem getting buffies, bluebills, scoters and old squaw to land within 20 yards of my 18ft jon boat. even if there isnt a blind on it.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:20 pm

I'd be leary of hanging out a mile offshore in a 12-foot jon boat with a blind.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Rooke » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:59 pm

thanks for the tips. i ll try it out this weekend and get back to you. hopefully there are a lot of flight ducks, because the weather in michigan is real mild.
Rooke
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Whistlerwhittler wrote:I'd be leary of hanging out a mile offshore in a 12-foot jon boat with a blind.

Rooke, make sure you wear a life vest in that 12 footer a mile out. It will make the body recovery easier!!!! Bad Idea Bro I’d think twice on that one.

I’ve been gunning on the big water along time, one thing I’ve learned along time ago is. Just when you think you have the wind and the water figured out, they go PMS all over you butt.

I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I’d like to see you change your screen name to old pro someday. Take care 870 peace out :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

12 hazards

Postby Dep666 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:09 pm

the old salty 870 is completely correct. Take it from a guy who cheated death and saved his buddy! I deep sixed a 12 fter and almost drown. When I finally got to the overturned boat I looked over to see my buddy going under for the second time. When he finallyl came up, I held out one of the guns (I salvaged his gun, but mine went to the bottom) and he grabbed it. I pulled him to the boat and then we had to go to shore................All I can say is we're alive and I'll never get in a 12fter again......

Not to scare you brother, but respect for the big water is a must. Especially when the water temp is as low as it is. 15 minutes in that water is all you have, then the body starts to shut down.

First rules of big water duck hunting.....In the boat? No Waders, Lifejackets on, Watch that wind and if the wind changes .......Get outta dodge!

Good luck brother
Dep666
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:52 pm

not to beat a dead horse but the only way i would be out a mile in a 12' boat is if there was 5200 feet of six inch deep water between me and shore. why a mile out? shooting divers in a 12' boat isnt a problem, i have a 14' tender boat i tow out behind the 24' blind boat and have shot buffies out of that while setting out the dekes, some of the birds are a little more leary but most are not that concerened if your decoys are out they come right in, just avoid sudden movements and shiny things. back to the mile off shore, is there not a place holding birds closer to land? maybe on a point or rock or sand spit?
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Rooke » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am

thanks for the advice guys. i went out on sat. i went a 1/2 mile out where the water was only 5-6 feet. it was the warmest day this season. no wind, 50 degrees and sunny. saw a few at day break and that was it. finished at noon with 3 buffies and a merganser between me and my buddy. the water was glass so we went out. if it would have been chopping we would not have risked it.

3 years ago i lost a pump from our boat turning over, the good news was we were pulling the boat with an 18 footer. it was windy and wavy and our blind was up. the boat toppled over, spilling all the decoys and 2 guns. we got all the decos back, but lost the guns. we think the boat tippped over because the blind was up and there was no weight in it.

it was a life long lesson and i would never go out in rough weather with it.
Rooke
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:07 pm

Rooke im about 250 miles northewest of you in traverse city was out saturday as well, similiar conditions. had our first skunk of the season, last week we were seeing 1000-1500 birds a day sat we saw maybe a dozen with any luck they will be down to you guys before things close up do me a favor and kill the ones i missed
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Diver Duck Hunting