fewer but larger diver decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

fewer but larger diver decoys?

Postby olt d2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Most of my diver hunting is done when they move into my marsh and even though I love decoys, I'm finally getting tired of setting out three dozen divers along with my two dozen honkers and four dozen puddlers.So my question for you guys is do u think id get the same results out of 18 mag or super mag divers as i would with three or so dozen.
olt d2
hunter

Re: fewer but larger diver decoys?

Postby boney fingers » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 am

yes
boney fingers
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 am

I tried this a few years ago and found that it was the numbers of decoys not the size. You can prove this to your self by setting up a spread of your current standard decoys and a second spread of just the large ones and step back hundred yards and look . In my experience with divers you are competing against huge rafts of real birds. I kept the oversized dekes but all subsequent decoys purchased were standards. I now routinely put out 110 decoys with excellent results it's a lot of work but it's more fun to shoot ducks then watch them fly by.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 pm

olt d2 wrote:Most of my diver hunting is done when they move into my marsh and even though I love decoys, I'm finally getting tired of setting out three dozen divers along with my two dozen honkers and four dozen puddlers.So my question for you guys is do u think id get the same results out of 18 mag or super mag divers as i would with three or so dozen.

Longline the divers.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:11 pm

I run 4 dzn G&H super mag Blue Bills. Never had a problem attracting the little buggers. Bigger is better.....JMO. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:52 am

Honestly what matters here is what you are competing with. If the divers raft up in big numbers where you hunt.... More decoys. If you frequently get a dozen or less birds checking out your spread... You will do fine with fewer decoys. Whether you use lots, or few,... Bigger is better.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:41 am

How much time and headache is 18 less decoys going to save you?
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 am

ScaupHunter wrote:
olt d2 wrote:Most of my diver hunting is done when they move into my marsh and even though I love decoys, I'm finally getting tired of setting out three dozen divers along with my two dozen honkers and four dozen puddlers.So my question for you guys is do u think id get the same results out of 18 mag or super mag divers as i would with three or so dozen.

Longline the divers.

^ this x 2. Saves a lot of decoy weights too
brickgw
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Thank for the answers guys, I'm going to switch I don't compete with big rafts most of the time. I know just dropping to eighteen from thirty six decoys doesn't seem like a big deal. but I have to pick everything up from the boat and do it by myself because thanks to all my hunting buddies having lil ones I hunt alone now and picking nine dozen decoys by yourself sucks.
olt d2
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:41 am

In my experience, both several and few decoys work but it depends on the scenario. Large open mouths and bays, I would say more is better. However, I've shot limits of divers in sloughs with only a two dozen decoys. In both scenarios all the birds worked the decoys and it was not pass shooting. Do what works best keep trying both till you find your ideal situation.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

The whole bigger is better idea is just that an idea. Real birds find lifesize birds in giant masses of water with no problems. Thinking you need larger decoys has not proven out in my area. I often hunt over 12 or even 8 lifesize diver decoys. Your not trying to attract a 1,000 bird flight. Your trying to pull in the small traveling flocks that are moving between feeding and resting areas. A dozen lifesize divers set outside your normal puddler spread will work just fine. Birds, even low flying birds pick out standard decoys visually. The black and white colors stand out very clearly to them. The only time I see bigger being better is in very heavy waves or large swells like you might see in salt water environments. With decoys appearing and disappearing in the waves the larger decoys might offer an advantage.

I hunt the third largest river system in the US. I usually decrease the number of decoys as the season progresses to help draw pressured birds. I have plans to hunt several spots over 4 diver decoys at the end of season. I do not hunt with any oversize decoys. I like the lifesize for three reasons. Less weight, more room in the boat, and it is what the birds expect to see in a real flock. Toss in that I can add decoy numbers for a larger spread with the same weight as I would have with fewer magnum decoys and it is a no brainer.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 pm

From my experience, in the marsh, fewer is just fine and bigger can only help especially when using fewer decoys.
boney fingers
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting