goldeneyes

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

goldeneyes

Postby fatboto » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:56 am

can someone help?? I have about 22 goldeneyes I set them it a hook formation on a river near by. I see couple hundred birds but only a few decoy is there any tricks to hunting these? some of my decoys have cork missing and paint too, and some are good, should the junk ones be inside or outside??? thanks
fatboto
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:18 am

I am no Goldeneye expert by any means, i always have the same problem, some days they will come right in flock after flock and other days they won't go near ther decoys. Maybe relocate to more open water somewhere if that's where the birds are! Don't worry about the old decoys i've seen people use javex jugs on the water to get them to decoy HHAHAA so i don't think your decoys will affect them a whole lot
GOOD LUCK
Did Ya Git Yur Buck EEERRRR Wha??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:43 am

Probably just your location.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Wooderson » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:16 am

I went out last weekend with a few buddies that have been out for the past 3 weekends and they said that the birds were comming into the decoys really nice for the first two weeks but the weekend I went out with them for some reason they said they werent comming into the decoys as good. Might just be from getting used to decoys or maybe you were set up in the wrong location.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby MattKenzer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 am

Hi fatboto....It is important to pay attention to were those passer-bys are going....like many decoy spreads, you must be were they want to be....a couple confidence decoys may help your spread as well....Stay at it, you will figure them out :thumbsup:
MattKenzer
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 am

We just went out last weekend - set a dozen blue bill decoys right off the beach - and had flock after flock of goldeneyes (barrows and common) coming into the decoys non stop - even while I was in the water putting out the rig!
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Whistlers#1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:05 pm

I always set up on a point of land or rocks, and use two clusters of decoys (about a dozen in each) with open water between the groups. This set-up usually works well for me, but you know whistlers, one day they decoy like mad, and the next they wont give you a second look!!
Whistlers#1
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:17 pm

i found setting the divers in a line(longline) works pretty good for me. with few set in front of the line. sometimes they decoy like crazy and sometimes they pass the dekes up without a look.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fatboto » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:45 pm

thaks for the reply's!! i found 2 dozzen more deks gonna give it hell this weekend..
fatboto
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:01 pm

weve killed a bunch of goldeneye before with just a couple magnum goldeneye dekes out. there were alot of goldeneye at that spot though at the time. with as many that you saw though. with the right wind and weather you should do pretty good.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:33 am

I do the same thing from shore - I hunt along a rocky coast line from shore - pack out about 16 decoys - I put 12 on a long line and float em in a line parralell to shore - Then I put the other 4 in amogst then to break up the look of the line - This works exceptionally well for my location....Then again....Alaska is well known for its sea duck hunting :)
OneLunG
hunter

Postby fatboto » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:09 am

yeah id kill to go hunting up there
fatboto
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:42 am

Yeah, me and my buddy went out last sunday - got 5 Goldeneye hens, 1 nice Common Drake, 13 Surf Scoter drakes, and one awesome drake harlequin that my buddy is mounting - Was a fun hunt - Scoters were coming in so fast and so many we couldnt keep up with the shooting, couldnt reload fast enough lol.....was absolutely insane! I'll post pics of the hunt once my buddy sends me them!
OneLunG
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting