ROUGH WATER LAYOUT QUESTION

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

ROUGH WATER LAYOUT QUESTION

Postby JAKE H » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:50 pm

I was wondering what the normal layout hunting conditions that you guys hunt in would be? I modified one of those small saiboats {14'} into a layout. is very low profile blends in great. Cut it down to 9' almost looks factory. it is well balanced and has a floataion pocket all the way around. Haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I have had it out i 1 foot chop but don't believe I want much more than that. I guess my question is would a mlb or ufo stand much more ?
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:59 pm

I have 2 of the Sunfish (10') converted layouts and a auqapod to boot.
My limit is also 1' or less. I'm to chicken to really push it since I was in 2' with 25mph winds last year and was getting wet from splashing waves. Getting wet or sinking in January in CT is not my idea of fun. :eek:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Blocko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:28 pm

Jake - I have a UFO and hunt on the Mississippi River in Iowa and when the wind is blowing from the North-East at 30mph it's pretty rough for any layout. I don't get wet because of the splash sheild but man do you get thrown around..... The only reason I stay out there is it's only about 4 foot where I hunt, if it was 10, i wouldn't be out there... I guess the answer your looking for is Yes, the mlb and UFO boat Can handle more then that, but being safe and making the right decision is up to you.... go with your gut and if it says its time to go, it probably is....
Blocko
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info, won't risk my life or anyones for a bird {atleast not knowingly} :toofunny: I do know things can go from nice to upsidedown in a matter of minutes :thumbsdown:
JAKE H
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:32 pm

UFOs and MLBs will handle probably more than you can dish at them, I can tell you that we have had both boats in easy 3 footers, when you see dekes then you see water then you see dekes, you get the idea.More importantly you need to know your limits and not get in over your head.We hunt in 4-30 foot of water and I we don't layout shoot unless there is at least a 1 foot chop usually, helps the boats blend and often times the birds like the chop.Any less chop than this and I just don't like the look of the boat in the water

Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 pm

A normal layout boat has absolutely no trouble in waves a lot bigger than a foot in height. As a wave approaches, the boat rises with it simply because of its bouyancy. Most waves will pass under the boat with no fuss, but a particularly steep or breaking wave might break onto the deck. The water on deck dissipates as it rolls up toward the coaming which then diverts it to either side so it can run harmlessly back down off the boat. This makes me wonder if you need to put more thought into how your coaming is set up. The coaming on most layout boats is canvas so it can be adjusted up or down with the conditions.
I've been out in some stupidly rough conditions and have never seen my layout show the slightest bit of stress. The crazy pitching motion is a little weird but the boat handles it in stride. If the canvas is way up you will get a slight spray at most.
Seems to me the real danger is usually the tender's inability to handle the conditions. I don't think I've ever heard of a layout boat flipping over or sinking while anchored, but I know of several cases where the tender went over or down when the guy tried backing into large waves or, worse yet, when the prop got tangled into the rig or into the layout's anchor. It is hard to get the mess straightened out before several large waves come crashing over the transom. For this reason I keep a folding knife in my pocket and we try to leave a clear lane through the decoys straight downwind of the layout so, if need be, we can run downwind through the rig without tangling.
Of course, at that point it is probably time to get off the lake.
Maybe you can figure out how to post a picture? I'd love to see what you've done to the boat.
Smith
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:39 am

Make sure that your bow and stern anchors are adequate and tight. If the layout sways side to side because the anchor won't hold, you will get more water coming over the coaming.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:33 pm

I have only hunted it once, going to try it again in the morning. The first time out we only used one anchor, it was pretty rough, we got tossed around a bit, we have another anchor now. Has any one added a bungee to thier anchor lines? Thought this might enable the boat to ride over waves alittle better rather than being pulled through them. This was my first lay out hunt. Did not really know what to expect. Wild ride! shooting real tough. when I reglassed the bow in I raised it to about head level, this seems to work pretty good at keeping waves at bay. The water "not much but cold" that I did get ,came in as the boat swung sideto to a wave I hope the second anchor will prevent this. Pretty new to diver huntin but have fished saltwater my whole life.
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:06 pm

I haven't put a bungee on the anchor line but I've got about 5 feet of heavy chain between the bow anchor and the anchor line. The weight of the chain will soften some of the shock on the line.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:34 pm

I have a 12' duck bill, can handle a fair amount of water, but where i hunt, wind direction is a factor, out of the south i can take up to about 15knts, any other direction and i am down to about 10knts South gives us a small amount of protection from the wind, even at those wind speeds i am only getting wet, but i use that as a determining factor, if i'm getting wet, it's time to get.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting