rigging out problem

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

rigging out problem

Postby IrishEyes » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:32 am

I had no problem rigging out in Long Island Sound in New York. There was always a tide running and I used long line with decoys clipped to the long line. As I added deks they would float off behind the boat.

Now in North Carolina I tried the same thing in the Neuse river. When there is no wind, there is never a tidal current, the deks just accumulate around the boat , tangle with each other or in the outboard.

I'm no longer anchored in 30 feet of water-now less than 15', and I was thinking of going to individual anchor lines. I have plenty of short lines and anchors from the broadbill rig.

Any help would be appreciated.
IrishEyes
hunter

rigging out

Postby baggedout » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Try using the same rig you have been using except put an anchor on each end of the long ling.. You can then position them any way you like and not have any tangle problems.....

Baggedout
baggedout
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Yup, what he said above :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:13 pm

If the dekes are bunching up, why not put the motor in gear and let the decoys string out behind the boat.....when ready, just drag them into position and drop the anchor. Even when alone, you should be able to do this without a mishap.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:27 pm

thats what i do.. keep the motor in gear
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:50 pm

same here :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Paul26 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Weight both ends. I had the exact same experience, except NC was my first LL attempt so I didn't know any better. I couldn't figure out why they only sent 1 anchor for each line! One of the guys from up in NE told me how LL's are designed to work.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:23 pm

I ended up putting all my diver dekes on single lines, 100 lb. test mono , I can set dekes and pick up just as fast, the only draw back I found, if there is a wind switch you cant reset nearly as fast as with long lines. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:19 pm

careful with the mono man. these are the problems i have found with it. after a year or two it gets real week. and when it gets cold here it gets brittle after that year or two period
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 am

I have been using mono for over 25 years. Our lines have never deteriated in any way and I hunt in weather as cold as it gets. We have over 125 divers that are still rigged with mono, I don't us knots, I use crimps and never had one issue. Our divers have 100 lb. test and our puddlers have 80 lb. test. I highly reccommend mono for dekes, especially in clear shallow water. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 pm

I weight both ends, pull up to where the first bird will be (nearest the boat or rest of the spread is), drop the 1st anchor then slowly BACK the boat along the line- paying out dekes as I go. When I reach the end, pull the line tight and drop the tail end anchor. We keep the dekes attached to the main line so there is no problem rolling out line then dekes.

This way you can change the angle of the line if needed by pulling the tail anchor up and swinging the line in either direction. (By the way, we do this in the Neuse and Pamlico rivers with good success).
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Lundman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:31 pm

most of us here in Maine rig the way Baggedout said. It's quick and easy to set out and take it up. Also you don't have to worry about wind changes.
"Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky"
Lundman
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 pm

So I gillnetted this summer and I'm assuming putting out long lines in a lot like putting out gilnets heres what I recomend:

Stack the lines in a figure 8 patternon the bow of your boat put the main anchor out and set it then put the boat in gear and back up then throw out the other anchor.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting