Help with ringbills, I think that is what they are.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Help with ringbills, I think that is what they are.

Postby Flyingbrass » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 pm

I been hunting in Arkansas since that is where I live. The goal is to shoot mallards but there is a ton of ringbills. I like to set up in shallow water since I am mainly targeting mallards. Is there any way to get diver type ducks to land in shallow water. I only got mallard decoys, one quiver and a jerk string set up.
One day we set the mallards on a little point that is real deep and we shot a bunch of ringbills and only two mallards so I don't want to do this. Anyway to do well on both kinds of ducks?
Moderators, move this if it is in the wrong section.
Thanks
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:28 pm

do you see ringnecks if you hunt the shallows and just can't get them to come in? if so you can try rigging up a diver line and see if that'll help at all. i know it did for us. i dont know how many mallard dekes you have, but put like a dozen out in a line in the direction of the wind with the rest grouped up at the end. it might work, it might not but its always worth a try.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Flyingbrass » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:43 pm

there is no white ring around there neck and the bill is four different colors so I think they are ringbills. We actually did move our decoys aroun midafternoon today and put them kinda in a line and still no divers landing but he mallards landed great.
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 pm

its the same duck. they are called ringnecks because of the redish ring around their neck. ringbill must just be the southern slang for them.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Murph » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:07 am

We call them ringbill down here in VA, we often have them buzz the mallard decoys and we are successful on taking them when they do this. This year I bought a dozen ringbill decoys and set them out in the main channel where they fly all the time and then put the mallards in a creek that flows in to the main water. This way we are able to hunt both.

The ringbill here seem to circle 2-3 times and then head out, rarely do they cup up and land so always know that it is going to be a pass shoot and rarely will we let them circle more then twice as we know there is little chance they are coming back.
Murph
Murph
hunter

Postby Flyingbrass » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:32 am

from looking at pictures and taxidermy mounts what we are shooting has has the same 4 colors on it beak and no ring around the neck. What I see as a ringneck has a ring around its neck and and a plain looking bill with one color.
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:18 am

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlg ... index.html

just to clarify we are talking about the same duck. i think they should be called ringbills, but merriweather lewis thought they should be called ringnecks. darn that lewis :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 am

take some of your old mallard decoys and and paint them black and white
works the same for divers
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Flyingbrass » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:37 am

I stand corrected, I guess they are ringnecks. That is the same duck DU is calling ringneck.
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Hunt them like you would any other duck on open water. You should of been with me this morning, I had 200 of them land in 23 Mallard decoys at first light! Saw about a thousand today. They always come into my Mallard spread. :salude:

Ringneck duck/ "Ringbill"/ "Black jacks" to some.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=427546&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:33 pm

huntmq1 wrote:Hunt them like you would any other duck on open water. You should of been with me this morning, I had 200 of them land in 23 Mallard decoys at first light! Saw about a thousand today. They always come into my Mallard spread. :salude:

Ringneck duck/ "Ringbill"/ "Black jacks" to some.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=427546&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]

anything thats black and white we call jacks
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:15 pm

Like most of our ducks, Ringneck's have nick names, but more than any other duck I know of. We call them Ringneck's but here are some other names I have heard, ring bill, hatchet heads, black jacks,hell divers, jacks and little marsh blue bills. What ever you call them, they sure make for a nice target. I love the sound thier wings make when they are dive bombing over head. :smile:
Last edited by Jim Broadbridge on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby whacknstack20 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:17 pm

I know what your talking about they kind of sound like a jet when the wind hits thier wings right
whacknstack20
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:11 am

I've had so many dive in from a few thousand feet, that I looked up expecting to see a jet flying high overhead. Pretty cool sight and sound!
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am

They are all over the place down here right now. I hunt them just like anything else....good mix of decoys.

If a lot of divers move into the area I try to make sure and set up near a depth change of some sort. Even if it is only 2 foot of depth change over a 50 yard area, it is enough. Then, I make sure to do a "family group" style set-up, using a good mix of decoys, and putting the Teal and jacks on the outside of the landing zone.

They sometimes come in and want to land just ouside the spread, give 'em a nice excited hen call (not too loud) and the will lift just enough to come in. We call it "diver skippin'"!

Oh, and soft teal, or pintail calls (you should have at least a couple in your spread) mixed with a few mallard quacks will settle just about any diver into your puddle spread.

-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Diver Duck Hunting