Drops from main line??

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Drops from main line??

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Just wondering if most of you guys use drops from the main line?? we have always set ours up by attaching directly to the main line.. Im thinking obviously it would help as far as driving the boat through the spread?? we always just drove through our lanes.. What our some of your thoughts?? this may be a stupid question but im curious. Also i use slotted bags and keep the decoys attached, just always kept things in order.
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Re: Drops from main line??

Postby Shade » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Most guys use drops for either boat or dog. 18" drops will be fine for most dogs, although there are a few goofy swimmers (cough, gauge, cough) that need 36" drops. 36" drops will work for most boats. You should be able to continue using the slotted bags and keep the drops attached. But my advice to you is this: If it's not broke, don't fix it. If you think being able to drive the boat will be a great advantage for you... Go ahead and make the change. If it's only go a save you a few minutes of wait gem while a downed bird floats away from the rigging.... Why go through the hassle? If you see a dog hunting over your spread in the future, drops are a must for the pooch's safety and your sanity in not resetting your spread after every retrieve.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey i really appreciate your feedback, I believe i will stay with my current setup as it has always been hassle free and quick to setup. :thumbsup:
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:41 am

w use drops as well. I made all of my own rigging for my new decoys to save money and went from 36 to 18 inch drops. the dog goes through fine. as for leaving them attached, my buddy likes to leave his attached and I prefer to take all of mine off and store them in slotted bags. I keep all of my main line on a reel so it's quick to set up and no tangles.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 am

How far apart do you set your longlines from each other?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 am

We usually run ours id say around 8 ft apart give or take ...
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Postby Chet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I use drops as well, but, if you have a system that works and don't use a dog, I would not mess with success.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting