Boat Distance From Decoys On Open Water Diver Hunts

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Boat Distance From Decoys On Open Water Diver Hunts

Postby Daffy Ducking » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:13 am

Gonna try for some late season divers for the first time from a boat. Curious to how far to place and even where to place it with a pop up blind.

Thank you for your time. Good Hunting. :withstupid:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:24 pm

I normally set my decoy groups from 5 to 20 yards from the boat in 2 oval shaped groups, leaving a 5 yard wide hole in the middle. Then I take my longlines and go out from the farthest dekes into the flight pattern of the birds. The birds will usually pick up the line and come into the hole. Not every bird does, but in general divers light outside the spread and swim in so you don't want the landing hole outside a comfortable range (say 20 yards from the boat or blind).
apexhunter
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:35 pm

I usually set my deeks in the classic J pattern, all broadies, then a handfull of buffs on the top end and a few at the end of the hook, set the boat right at the hook of the J about 5-10 yrds max, no decoy is out of range, heres a pic from the boat, not the best shot though
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting