How close do you put your dek's

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

How close do you put your dek's

Postby PnR_Productions » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Just like the title said: how close do you guys put your dek's when diver hunting? I basically just got into diver hunting big time last year and me and my buddies have about 18doz dek's to throw out of a mixed bad of divers and mallards, along with 2 long lines of can's. I've been looking at some pictures and it seems like a lot of people are putting their dek's almost on top of each other.. for puddlers i've always tried to keep the dek's at least 3 to 6 ft apart but i guess i'm pretty new to divers. Also when you throw out mixed spreads with divers and puddlers do you just mix them all together?
Thanks for your help guys
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Re: How close do you put your dek's

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm

If im wading I will ball up a section of my decoys, maybe 6' apart then I expand outward and constently spreading my blocks out more and more till about 10-12 feet appart. I usually try to make huge looking spreads as thats what birds usually do in my area. I also try to keep puddlers and divers apart if I'm on shore, layout I mix them.

Long lines I am still trying to figaure out the most natural way to go about spacing them. I run gang lines which allows me to space out my blocks however far I want. I try to space out the first half pretty far and then I group them up the closer I get to the end. I try to keep my lines within 10-20 feet of each other.

I think this year in front of the layouts I am going to run my lines perpendictualer to the wind. then through singles on the down wind side to break up the boxy look.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

When spacing the decoys: on the long lines... At least double the dropper length (keeps them from touching)
Individual rigged... Just far enough not to touch

Leave more space where you want birds to land. Leave less space where you don't want them to land. Most guys I know including me, leave about 15-20 yards between long lines and make a big wad of closely spaced decoys somewhere in the spread. I like the long lines to "lead in" to the wad. I prefer to shoot over the wad so my landing zone is the far edge of the wad and in between each longline.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Shade wrote:When spacing the decoys: on the long lines... At least double the dropper length (keeps them from touching)
Individual rigged... Just far enough not to touch

Leave more space where you want birds to land. Leave less space where you don't want them to land. Most guys I know including me, leave about 15-20 yards between long lines and make a big wad of closely spaced decoys somewhere in the spread. I like the long lines to "lead in" to the wad. I prefer to shoot over the wad so my landing zone is the far edge of the wad and in between each longline.

How many lines do u put out. Cant be many if they are spaced like that I would assume.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I usually put out 6 lines. 2 - 50' lines and 4 - 100' lines. I fan them out so that the ends closest to me are only a few feet apart but the ends furthest from me are 15-20 yards apart. The shorter lines go on the ends. I can keep every decoy within 35 yards and still have 5 separate landing zones. While I normally hunt from shore, this pattern will work in open water as well but is really difficult to layout from the boat and the wad has way less decoys because of the water depth. If you were hunting wadable water from a boat... It would work great but I would position the boat off center from the spread to avoid having the boat be a focal point.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 am

Now I get it. Sounds like a nice setup I wish I had more wadeable spots im not real deep just too deep to wade 4-7 '
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:41 am

Shade wrote:I usually put out 6 lines. 2 - 50' lines and 4 - 100' lines. I fan them out so that the ends closest to me are only a few feet apart but the ends furthest from me are 15-20 yards apart. The shorter lines go on the ends. I can keep every decoy within 35 yards and still have 5 separate landing zones. While I normally hunt from shore, this pattern will work in open water as well but is really difficult to layout from the boat and the wad has way less decoys because of the water depth. If you were hunting wadable water from a boat... It would work great but I would position the boat off center from the spread to avoid having the boat be a focal point.

Proud Papa Moment ....
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:54 pm

I often run my (3 to 5) longlines 10 yards apart or so in marching lines, once in a while I will make one long line into a "U" - I like to leave as much space as I can for birds to land, I will throw out 6-ish single droppers (goldeneyes and buffleheads) in the gaps or on the outside as this seems to suck those species right in to a committed landing.

I try to keep all decoys in reasonable shooting range, so that the furthest I ever shoot is just outside the edge of the decoys, If I'm confident in the shot. I have a strong distaste for using lots of shells chasing a cripple.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting